Friday, November 8, 2013

Ya Just Never Know Where Life Is Gonna Take Ya Somedays.

November 8, 2013
 
This mornin', I woke up and as I was layin' there, sort of prayin' and plannin' my day, I got the thought,

"You need to go into town today and check the clearance shelves at the grocery store."

Um...okay...

So we all got up, had breakfast and got ready for the day, and when the Redneck left for work, we went with him. He dropped us off at the store and went on his way. Obie and I went in and looked, but didn't find a lot of clearance stuff. We bought a few things, then began walkin'  back home.

I figured maybe I was misunderstandin' what I was supposed to do. No matter how hard I listen, sometimes I get my wires crossed and misunderstand what I think God is tryin' to tell me.

As we got about a mile from the house, I saw there was a yard sale happenin'.

Wait, make that a yard sale TRYIN' to happen.

The poor lady was tryin' to get stuff set out, and she had a bunch of folks in there, goin' through things and tryin' to get her to go down on stuff, just workin' her over, so to speak.

I walked into the yard and began lookin' around. The setup was a mess, and she had boxes and more boxes that were just sittin' there, and she looked like she was about to just go into the house and shut the door.

After the folks left, I smiled, said hello and asked,

"Would you like some help?"

She was so relieved, you could see her shoulders just relax.

"YES! PLEASE!"

So Obie and I stowed our backpacks inside her front door, and went to work. I began openin' boxes and settin' stuff out accordin' to categories, electrical, dishware, decorative, etc. Picture frames in one box, purses in another, cookbooks on a shelf.

I worked four hours, and then looked around and saw that I had put her stuff out to the best of my abality, and the loose paper was all bagged up so the yard didn't look messy. There had already been a few customers, and I had sold several items for more then she had wanted for them.

"Okay, we're done, you can take it from here."

She looked around, and couldn't believe what had been accomplished. She was grateful, and tried to give me this gorgeous painted cow skull I had admired. I said no thanks, but might I have these?

I held up a small set of chile pepper bowls and a metal basket I had found.

"But don't you want the skull? I know you liked it."

I explained that while I liked it a lot, I had no practical place for it in my home, and that the little pepper bowls were of more use to me. I don't bring anything into my home anymore that I don't have a use for immediately.

She grinned and said, "And that keeps you from being in THIS situation, riht? A lot of things to get rid of, and no help to do it?"

"Yup."

We laughed, and then she insisted I take a carved wooden cross for the cowboy church, and a board decorated with three old faucets for my bathroom. I had said I could hang my necklaces from it. I accepted them, and then Obie and I went on our way. I felt good knowin' I had helped her out, and she felt good knowin' that somebody had cared enough to help.

I hadn't misunderstood God after all. If I hadn't gone in, I wouldn't have walked past her sale, and she would have probably still have been there, just tryin' to get stuff out. I got some goodies, yes, but that wasn't why I did it.

I did it because I have a talent for it, and she needed me to exercise that talent at that moment. By doin' what I did, there is now an open door to witness to her and her family, because she has seen my faith in action, and knows that I'm real.

I looked up hearin' and obeying the voice of God. I found on http://www.seekgod.org/message/hearinggod.html the followin';

God will speak to us in many ways; one of the main ways is through the written scriptures. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim 3:16-17 NIV) God will never contradict Himself so the scriptures help to confirm what the Holy Spirit is speaking inside of us. Because the same voice that wrote the scriptures speaks directly to us who are of the new covenant. But it is through the Holy Spirit that we are given the knowledge of how and when to apply which scriptures to which situation.

God sometimes speaks to people through dreams, visions, and even an audible voice. God also speaks through other people; sometimes He speaks through people that may not even be Christians. God sometimes speaks through circumstances, opening and closing doors of opportunity. But we are not to be led by people or by circumstances but only by the Holy Spirit. The key is to recognize God’s voice when you hear it in whatever way that He chooses to communicate to you. We are to walk by faith not by sight, and faith comes by hearing the spoken words of God and recognizing His voice.
 
So, are you listenin' to what God is tellin' YOU?

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013


 

4 comments:

  1. I love this post.It is so exciting to see the adventures He leads us through when we listen to Him isn't it? I love it that God speaks to us all the time, and in surprising ways. He talks to us about the little things in our daily lives. I often hear Him throughout the day, gently guiding, prompting and helping me. I always know it is His voice because I feel a sense of peace in my heart. If not, I wait a while. I know My heavenly Father is not demanding. His yoke is easy and His burden is light.
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I have gotten to the point that even when awful things happen, I look to see what God is tryin' to teach me. I recently read "People who hand everything to God, eventually find God's hand in everything."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saved to read later but don't remember where I found your blog. Maybe you stopped by my blog? I remember your name :-) Well, I loved your story of your faith in action. Priceless. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete