Sunday, November 17, 2013

Happy Sunday--Wagon Wheel Taters

November 17, 2013

HAPPY SUNDAY BEFORE THE SUNDAY BEFORE THANKSGIVIN', YA'LL!!!!!!!

Yup, today is our little cowboy church's 'Grub Sunday', and we decided to have a Thanksgivin' dinner for the folks. There will be at least one baked turkey, a couple of deep fried, possibly a smoked turkey...and a ham. The church is providin' the meat, and folks are bringin' all the sides.

I personally am providin' some corn, a white chocolate dip with cookies and fruit, and my favorite...

WAGON WHEEL TATERS.

Don't be too impressed--the recipe is actaully one I adapted from watchin' and old Julia Child "THE FRENCH CHEF" shows on dvd several years ago. I've just made it my own and added a western moniker for my personal cookin' style.

It's real simple. Get yourself a cast iron skillet, melt and pour a quarter cup of butter in the bottom, then roll it around to coat well.

Wash and sliced the first potato very thin, and start layin' the slices out over the bottom, till it's covered. I put two layers of potatoes on the bottom.

SLice up and onion real thin, too, and scatter slices over the taters. Repeat with more layers of onions and taters till you get to the midway of the skillet height. Pour another quater cup of butter over all that. Then repeat the layers until there is a slight hump in the middle for the skillet.

Pop that bad boy into the oven at 350 degrees for 60 minutes, then check for doneness. If needed, bake for another 30 minutes.

VOILA--WAGON WHEEL TATERS!

While these are great just like this, you can also add thin slices of fresh garlic cloves, jalepenos--even bacon if you feel like it--that turns it into a good breakfast dish.

So, now I gotta go wake up the troops and get ready for the Lord's Day. Psalm 122:1 says;

"I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord."

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013



 

No comments:

Post a Comment