Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wellness Wednesday--8 Weeks To Optimum Health--Week 1

October 30, 2013

A couple of weeks go, I reviewed 8 WEEKS TO OPTIMUM HEALTH by Andrew Weil, MD.

Beginnin' this week, I will be goin' through the program again, to give myself a jump start back onto my personal wellness journey. I gained back some of the weight I lost a couple of years ago, and I can tell the difference.

I thought ya'll might enjoy watchin' the lecture Dr. Weil did for PBS many years ago. I found the videos on YOUTUBE, and the weeks are split up into individual videos. I'll post one each week, so you can take your time and figure out what you can do to begin your own journey to health.

 
As you can tell from the video, the steps are not hard at all. It's a lot of common sense, really. I have the added bonus of havin' a friend who is a holistic practitioner, and she answers many of my questions--especially the ones I DON'T wanna hear the answer to, like how margarine is made....NASTY.
 
I have already  made a start on fixin' some glitches in my routine that have gotten me off track. This mornin' Obie and I walked around the block, which where I live, means we walked four miles. The 'block' is a mile on each side. I figure a few weeks of that will make a dent in my weight, along with a modest change in my eatin' habits.
 
I have also fallen off the wagon in my prayer and Bible study. I honestly feel I have developed spiritual ADD. I will begin prayin', and then find myself mentally goin' "SQUIRREL!". In other words, things that are not important keep poppin' up in the midst of my prayers and readin'. Most of that is just that I have gotten out of practice.
 
He speaks of meditation, and as a Christian, that always brings up Psalm 46:10, where God says;
 
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”
 
To me, that is takin' the time to concentrate on Him, God the Creator, Jesus the Savior, the Holy Spirit the Comforter. Dwell on His goodness, His glory, His power. Spend time in His Word, listen to praise and worship music. Heck, just stop and praise Him in the middle of everything, for no other reason than HE IS GOD.
 
Will give ya'll an update on my progress next week, please leave comments on how ya'll are doin' in your own wellness journey as we go along.
 
Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment