Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wellness Wednesday--8 Weeks To Optimum Health--A Review

October 16, 2013

Hey ya'll--it's Wellness Wednesday again, and I thought I would introduce ya'll to a favorite book of mine, 8 WEEKS TO OPTIMUM HEALTH, A Proven Program for Taking full Advantage of Your Body's Natural Healing Power. by Andrew Weil, M.D. It's a good, basic, where to start book to help you begin your journey to wellness. It's also really good to help you get back on track when you mess up. I should know--I have to read it every couple of years or so. There is also a video of a lecture that he gave many years ago, and you can find it on dvd. I find it helps me sometimes to hear him speak--it seems to clarify parts of the book.

Dr. Weil is a believer in 'integrative medicine', which means as I can best explain it is, when I got sick and had to go to the ER, I didn't want a chiropractor right then--I wanted a good heart team to help me get through the emergency. Once I was safe, however, I began assembling my team of alternative health practitioners to help me get back to wellness, so I can prevent another epsiode.

I'm glad there are good doctors and phamacists, and I'm thankful for surgeons and drugs that assist in times of need. However, I use many alternative methods to PREVENT having to use the former as much as possible.

So, did I make that clear? Intergrative medicine is not shunnin' one form of treatment for another--it's utilizin' BOTH in the correct amounts, at the times they are needed.

A disclaimer here--I don't know what Dr. Weil's religious beliefs are--what I DO know is that he has a lot of good information, and that this program is a good one that has worked for me and my family over a 17 year period.  I don't endorse many of his 'spiritual' views, however I have seen where there are scriptural applications in his work.

Bottom line--take the stuff that works, ignore the 'woowoo'.

The main reason I like this book is that he takes you through baby steps over the eight week period. He doesn't shout, "GET EVERYTHING DONE RIGHT NOW OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!" like many folks of alternative medicine do. Instead, he takes each week and gives you some projects to tackle, and then he adds a little each week to build upon what you have already accomplished.

Orignally published in the late 90s, you can get updated and revised copies. You can download a PDF of the book at http://www.ebook3000.com/Eight-Weeks-to-Optimum-Health_87152.html

If you have any further questions about Dr. Weil, you can visit his website at: www.drweil.com.

I'm thinkin' of actually goin' through the book again myself, and bloggin' about the results each Wednesday. Would any of ya'll be interested in me doin' that? Please leave a comment to let me know.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

 

No comments:

Post a Comment