Saturday, October 5, 2013

Trail Ride Went Good--But I'm Beat!

October 5, 2013

Well, been back from the trail ride for a few hours now. Got the animals cared for, the truck unloaded, and then we passed out across our bed for a couple of hours. I just got up and decided to tell of our time in the grasslands.

We got there yesterday afternoon, and after settin' up our sleepin' area, we enjoyed a wonderful evenin' of good food and fellowship with our church. Durin' the campfire sing along, I even stood and sang one of my own compositions--and you have no idea of how scared I was. The Preacher says I stood there, eyes closed, ramrod straight, as I sang. Hey--I did it.

We slept in the bed of our truck 'cause it was a gorgeous night. The weather was the perfect temperature.

Then around 4:30 this mornin', the Redneck wakes me to let me know it was beginnin' to sprinkle little rain drops. The sky was still pretty clear, so we decided to see how things went, and went back to sleep. ABout an hour later, we woke up and it was startin' to come down a bit harder, so we grabbed our pillows and headed into the truck cab. Since it was our usual time to get up--no problem.

Breakfast was smoked sausage and HOSTESS DONUTS (disgustin', I know, but hey, it's a trail ride)

We saddled Fancypants up, and while the Redneck rode her, I stayed in camp with some others to help prepare the lucnh od smoked brisket and a lot of side dishes--also dutch overn cobblers!

We left around 2 p.m., when the auction was gettin' started. The Redneck was feelin' a mite poorly because of his allergies, so we decided to load up and come on home.

I would say the days was a success--we had 35 riders, and we raised money for St. Jude's Children's Hospital--won't know how  much till after all the different numbers have been crunched. I hope we meet our goal of $3,000, but hey--any amount will be welcomed by St. Jude's.

If you want to help support St. Jude's--check out their website at:

www.stjude.org.

Not sure what's for supper, but I know a hot bath is in my future.
© Evelyn Edgett


 

No comments:

Post a Comment