Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tasteful Tuesday--Pickle Juice Marinade

October 29, 2013

Last week, as I was perusin' the fridge shelves for ideas for supper later, I saw that I had a couple of extra pork sirloin roasts that I hadn't put in the freezer yet.

Hmm....

What could I make with pork?

I did a bit more scavenging, and discoved a large jar of pickle juice. I save the juice, and sometimes I put cut up veggies in it to make a batch of marinated goodness.

But another great use for pickle juice is...

MEAT MARINADE.

Yup--just GOOGLE using pickle juice as marinade, and you will find all kinds of great recipes usin' this tart, salty goodness to soak chicken, pork, and some kinds of beef cuts in. It's like a brining mixture, without all the measurin' and mess.

So, I poured the juice into a large bowl and plopped the roasts in with it. I made sure they were soaked through, and let them sit all day, turnin' them occasionally to ensure they got a good dosin'.

Then, when it came tome to cook them, I drained off and discarded the juice, placed the roasts into a pan, covered them in sliced onions, bell peppers, and salt and pepper. Then I popped them into the oven at 350 for about an hour and a half.

Oh my, good just ain't the word I'd use--it's not enough. I served them with garlic mashed potatoes (just boil your potatoes as you regularly would, but add a couple of peeled cloves of garlic to the water, when potatoes are done, drain and mash as usual. Oh, and try usin' some of the hot potato water to mash them with instead of milk--fluffy!), green beans, a salad, and sweet iced tead for the fellas, with ice water for moi.

Nummy!

The juice helps to keep the meat moist, and it gives a very good flavor to the dish as well. I've even been considerin' usin it to thaw fish filets in, then lightly cookin' them in buter for lunch...

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment