Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tasteful Tuesday--Artisan And Cuban Bread

October 8, 2013

Ever try to blog with a spoiled WOLF at your elbow?

No?
TRUST me--it ain't easy.

Little Dove is havin' a heat cycle, and since I don't want any more puppies, she gets to be 'house wolf' for a while. I can't have her fixed, due to a health issue she has, but I'm REAL careful to keep her from bein' a femme fatale. So she is now splittin' her time between Obie and me, beggin' for pettin' and anglin' for snacks, which she doesn't get outside of her scheduled times. Or else she's tryin' to crawl in my lap, since she doesn't realize she is no longer the tiny puppy that used to snooze on my pillow...oh goodness--10 years ago.

Okay, on to Tasteful Tuesday.

I think that a bread recipe is in order today, since the weather is coolin' off, and I tend to use my oven more often.

I love artisan breads--they always look so....'bohemian'. And the taste can be amazin'. There is a great book--ARTISAN BREAD IN FIVE MINUTES A DAY by Jeff Hertzberg, just plumb full of great recipes, and you can check out his site here:

www.artisanbreadinfive.com


 
 
 
These are some of the artisan bread I've made, usin' the rescipes in the book--ain't they pretty?


There is also a great Youtube video on how to make this bread:



However, as much as I love these breads, today I'm gonna share a recipe from one my my most favorite books ever--THE TIGHTWAD GAZETTE, VOLUME II, by Amy Dacyzyn. I tried to upload a photo of the book, but it ain't happenin' today. (But please, look up the books--they are great.)

I learned how to make this bread many years ago, long before artisan breads became the 'in' thing.

It takes even less work and wait time than the other recipes--an hour and 15 minutes start to finish, and it tastes great.

CUBAN BREAD

5-6 cups all purpose flour (you can substitute whole wheat flour for 1 or 2 cups)
2 Tblsp dry yeast (I have used only 1 Tblsp, with good results, but try it both ways to find what you like best.)
2 Tblsp sugar
1 Tblsp salt
2 cups hot water (120-130 degrees)
1 Tblsp sesame or poppy seeds (optional, but can be fun--also, try sprouted flax seeds or chia seeds)

Mix 4 cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar, and salt. pour in hot water and beat 100 strokes until dough is no longer sticky. Knead 8 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl and cover with damp towel. Let rise 15 minutes. Punch down, Divide into two pieces. Shape into two round loaves and place on baking sheet. Cut an 'X' 1/2 inch deep on top with sharp knife. Brush with water and sprinkle with seeds.

Place on the middle shelf of a COLD oven. Place a cake pan of HOT water on the lowest shelf. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake 40-50 minutes until deep golden brown.

That's it! Easy, huh?

I have also made this bread in French style loaves, with a series of slashes instead of 'X's, and they make great 'hoagie' rolls. I have mixed in different grains, like sprouted wheat, and added other types of flours and even MACA powder, to give it a bit more 'oomph'.

I hope ya'll give this a shot, because it's just plain good.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment