Sunday, October 27, 2013

Schedules

October 27, 2013

I found this awesome little thing on the blog settin's--I can CHOOSE when a post will be published! I can now write the posts when I have time to work on them and then have them show up online later--this is so cool.

Seriously, it will make my bloggin' a lot easier--I can do a week's worth of posts the way they SHOULD be done, and then I can stay off the computer till later in the day when I have my chores done.

Speakin' of schedulin'...

Someone asked me what my schedule is like, and what is a 'typical' day at my house.

I don't really HAVE a schedule, other than my husband's work schedule, and our church schedule. I use scheduled times to set the parameters of my day--in other words, by usin' the Redneck's leavin' for work time and his comin' home time as my parameters, I know I have a set amount of time to accomplish my chores and other tasks before he gets home, and after he gets home, I have another set of parameters in which to accomplish evenin' chores before bedtime. Our church schedule tells me I have certain days to prepare for worship and other events.

What really moves my days are the routines that I do within those parameters.

On workdays, I get up between 5 and 5:30 a.m. My routine from that point is to empty dishwasher, start a load of clothes, get breakfast and family devotions done and the table cleared, have myself and Obie dressed, pack the Redneck's lunch, and have all the animals fed and watered by no later than 7:45, when the Redneck leaves for work. If we are bein' dropped off in town for errands, I try to have beds made and things picked up before I leave.

If we are stayin' home, Obie and I go for a walk, about two to four miles, and then come home and pop washed clothes into dryer (next spring I'll be hangin' them up on my clothes line--YAY!), make beds, get dinner prep started, check email and other things online, Do anything 'houseworky' that needs doin'--straighten things, organize a shelf or drawer, maybe deep clean a specific room--fold and put away clean laundry, all that kind of stuff. If I have a massage guest in the afternoon, I make certain that the studio is set up and the right temperature, then I do a massage or two. I do the evenin' feedin' for the horses around 5:30, and finish up cookin' dinner and (hopefully) have time for a quick shower and a change of clothes before the Redneck gets in around 6:30.

After supper, I clean the kitchen, help Obie get ready for bed, read to him and have his prayers. Then I get his two dogs in to spend the night, turn on his radio, and say goodnight. I turn down our bed, change into my jammies, and join the Redneck on the couch to watch a dvd together. Then we read for awhile, and we pack it in around 10 p.m.

If Obie and I get dropped off in town, we either clean the local horse supply shop for a few hours on Monday, or volunteer at the local food bank on Wednesday and Thursday. After that, we walk to the local hair house to visit my freind Jana for a bit, then to the post office for mail, and the library to check out books and visit with the librarians. We make a quick stop at the grocery store to get anything we need and to check the clearance shelves (we don't buy a lot--we only have backpacks), and then we walk home, about 2 miles. We have our lunch, and then do whatever stuff needs doin'.

Weekends are extremely varied, dependin' on the season and what needs doin'. This Saturday, for instance, we slept in, had a late breakfast, fed and watered, then moved horses to different pastures, hauled some hay, and spent the afternoon restin' and putterin' around the house until time to go to the church hayride that night. Next Saturday, we will be up at 5 a.m. and at my friend's house by 8 to help her finish movin' furniture and waxin' her stained concrete floors.

Some weekends find our family at craft shows, ministry work, or just campin'.

Sundays, wth rare exceptions, we are up early, chores done and at church by 9:15. My son has a Bible study group that meets at 9:30, and we visit with our church family until services begin. On the third Sundays, we eat lunch at the church at a big potluck where all of us have brought something tasty to the meal.

After church, we might run an errand, but usually we head home and nap for a while before makin' sure everything is ready to begine the new work week.

I guess you could call all that 'typical'.

I'm always lookin' for better routines to make my day more efficient, and I'm not afraid to try new things. I mostly try to make certain that I have things under enough control so that if any of us wants to go do something, I can drop whatever I'm doin' and join in the fun--without havin' to worry about comin' back to finish my work.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment