Thursday, October 31, 2013

ONLY IN TEXAS

October 31, 2013

If ya'll will direct your attention to the photo below, you may find yourself askin',




"What is that guy doin'?"

I'll tell you.

I was fixin' supper, and I opened a cupboard to find a snake wrapped around my big glass measurin' cup. It was too dark to see if he was poisonous or not, but I could see a pattern on his skin, so I decided I should enlist the Redneck in this adventure.

I shut the door and called sweetly...

"BABY! COME HERE! WE GOT A VISITOR!"

After openin' the door--there was no sign of the snake. So I had to get a long grillin' fork and begin movin' things around until I found him behind the basket I store my sproutin' seeds in.

We couldn't see how its head was shaped, and it was just too dark to see the pattern on it, so we had to take the safe route and kill it.

The Redneck got Obie's bb gun and that is what he's doin' there.

I scooped him out. Turns out, he was a bull snake. I really hate to kill snakes, they are good at keepin' other critters down in population, but if I wasn't sure it was non-poisonous, it had to go. If I had been able to tell what it was, I would have simply grabbed it and tossed it outside at a far distance from the house.

I cleaned and disinfected the cupboard and put everyting back. I'm still lookin' for the place he got in, but can't locate it yet. I know that there are a couple of mice in the walls and I'm workin' on trappin' them too. Ever since the folks around us did the last big hay cuttin', we have been noticin' the little critters seekin' shelter for the comin' winter. I let the  mole live last week, but HE doesn't wanna share my home. Mice like to take up residence, and that AIN'T happenin'.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

 

No comments:

Post a Comment