Monday, October 14, 2013

Meditation Monday--Biblical Easter Eggs

October 14, 2013

Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. Got busy with some projects that took precedence over bloggin'. I still have one big project to do today, but since it's rainin', I can take time to work online for a while.

I was up this mornin' before the rest of the pack, and while perusin' through the Scriptures, I found myself in Psalms. I had been flippin' through Hosea, Jeremiah, Daniel, Micah...you get the picture.

Well, for some reason, I just couldn't settle down into any of those books--it was like someone kept wavin' their hand between me and the Bible, so I just moved on until I hit Psalms, where I began settlin' in.

I was readin' along in Psalm 69, where David is prayin', askin' God to deliver him from his enemies, to lift him out of the mire. He speaks of how he has become a stranger to his family, because of his zeal for God's House, etc.

As I was readin', I was stopped at verses 5 and 6, where he says,

O God, You know my foolishness;
And my sins are not hidden from You.
Let not those who wait for You, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed because of me;
Let not those who seek You be confounded because of me, O God of Israel.


Now, this thrilled me, because it's one of what I call 'easter eggs', in the Scripture.

In computer terms, an easter egg is when you click on something in a program or on a dvd, and you find a hidden pop up, video, or game. It's basically a bonus.

God's Word is full of them.

Like this passage--right in the middle of David prayin' for deliverance from his enemies, he stops to admit that HE ain't perfect, either. He knows that God sees all his sins. He then goes on to ask God to please don't let HIS screwin' up prevent other folks from fallin'. To me it's like when I pray, "Father, don't let my actions confuse others about You and please don't let me be a stumblin' block to them."

Then David moves on, back to askin' for deliverance from his enemies. But at another point, verses 29-33, he says;

But I am poor and sorrowful;
Let Your salvation, O God, set me up on high.
I will praise the name of God with a song,
And will magnify Him with thanksgiving.
This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bull,
Which has horns and hooves.
The humble shall see this and be glad;
And you who seek God, your hearts shall live.
For the Lord hears the poor,
And does not despise His prisoners.


Here I think David is referrin' back to verses 5 and 6.  He is once again admittin' that he is not perfect, and that only God can set him on high. He says that he will praise God and magnify Him with thanksgivin'. He says that this will please God better than makin' a sacrifice (This puts me in mind of 1 Samuel 15:22:“Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the Lord?Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,And to heed than the fat of rams.).

He states that the humble will see this and be glad, and that those who seek God, their hearts shall live. This says to my heart that by doin' what is right, by bein' obedient, I will actually bless and inspire others to seek God.

Me?

An inspiration?

I don't see it.

But God does, and He intends to use my messed up, foolish life to accomplish His will on earth. Even though He knows my foolishness and my sins are not hidden from Him--He will use me.

Whoa.

Not THAT'S an easter egg.  

So? What are you waitin' for? Grab your 'basket', and get to huntin' through the Word!

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment