Monday, October 21, 2013

Meditation Monday--Be Reasonable...Serve God

October 21, 2013

Yesterday at church, in the middle of the preacher's sermon, he quoted Romans 12:1, which states;

12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

I have read and heard this verse for years, but yesterday, it just sort of hopped up and popped me between the eyeballs.

Look at the two words I underlined.

Reasonable service.

Reasonable.

Service.

God asks us to basically give Him our whole bein', mind, body, emotions, etc. He is askin' us to present ourselves as livin' sacrifices, holy and acceptable to Him.

Now, to a lot of folks--this is completely UNreasonable.

"Now, look here God, You have me on Sunday mornin's and evenin's--until football season. I read the Sunday school lesson on the way to church. I toss a few dollars  in the plate when I can spare it, and I always show up to vote to keep things just the way they are in the church. Now, that's pretty much all I can give You, and You have to admit, that's a lot. But givin' You EVERYTHING? Nope, sorry. That's just not reasonable."

Admit it--you've heard this before. Heck--you've SAID it before haven't you?

Hmmm....okay, let's look at this through God's eyes.

He created you to fellowship with Him. He knew you before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye. He saw you from before He created the world--knew just how big a jerk you were gonna be. Yet He STILL loved you enough to provide a way for you to be brought into fellowship with Him, through the death of Jesus Christ. He even added in the resurrection of Jesus three days later, so you would never have to fear death again. All YOU have to do is confess that you are a sinner, ask for forgiveness, and accept the gift of Jesus' sacrifice.

Now, that's a pretty good deal, if you ask me. HE did all the work--YOU just have to accept what He did. I mean, come on--if you had a terminal illness, and there was a free pill that you KNEW would heal you, and all you had to do was ask and accept it...

...you would have to be stupid to refuse it, right?

Uh--that was an important rabbit I just chased--but I got off point some.

What I'm sayin' is--after all that God has done--He created you, he provided a way for you to live eternally with Him, in Heaven, in a PARADISE. He has promised that He will NEVER leave or forsake you--that He will meet ALL your needs. He has promised you peace that can't be taken away. He has done all this, and yet you think that to give Him everything you were, are now, and ever will be--everything you have and every situation in your life, to hand it all over to Him...

...is unreasonable?

You're just a SPECIAL kind of stupid, aren't you?

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett










 

No comments:

Post a Comment