Saturday, October 26, 2013

Dumb Dog's Diggin' Develops Dire Diversion

October 26, 2013

Busy weekend ahead--hauling hay, selling aluminum cans, and getting ready for the church's chili cookoff and hayride tonight. I really need a day that comes in between Saturday and Sunday--call it I'm Gonna Do What The Heck I Want Day.

No?

Aw heck.

Yesterday, after I was done online, I heard a canine cacophony in the back yard. The dogs were goin' NUTS.

I looked out, but couldn't see what was upsettin' everybody. The horses were all across the pasture, not buggin' the dogs like they do sometimes, and no one was sneakin' around, so what was goin' on?

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Junior, one of my fuzzy black dogs, jumpin' at something. I looked closer, and saw a small furry creature LUNGIN' at Junior. It wasn't even a tenth of Junior's size, but it was givin' that mutt heck on a handle, and the other animals were basically eggin' this activity on.

I ran out the door, grabbin' the mop bucket as I went, and when I got to Junior, I saw that he had apparently unearthed a large MOLE, and now the two were tryin' to intimidate each other. The poor mole was standin' still, tryin' to figure out where Junior was gonna jump at him next.

I moved around the dog and plopped the bucket over the little guy. Then I stood there, holdin' the bucket, thinkin',

"WHAT THE HECK AM I GONNA DO NOW?"

I couldn't pick the mole up, I didn't wanna get bitten.  I wasn't just gonna let him loose again, because I didn't want him to get hurt by Junior or any of the others. They can be a nuisance, but in the country and an old grass yard like I have--they don't really bother me.

I looked around, and saw a piece of wood from an old dresser I was burning. I reached and snagged it, then carefully worked it under the bucket till the mole was trapped. I then lifted the whole thing and carried it far away from the house and dogs. I set it down under an old tree, and let him loose.

He stood still for a moment, then lowered his head and began burrowin' into the dirt. I genlty laid the wood back over him, to give him a bit of secure feelin', then left him. I DID take the time to yell as I walked away,

"HEY! Stay out from under the shed where Junior sleeps! He's got a grudge goin' now!

Not sure if he heard me...

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely story. I'm glad you gave Mr mole a break : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, once I saw that he wasn't a danger to anything but himself--I had to admire his chutzpah, standin' up to a dog 10 times his size.

      Delete