Friday, August 16, 2013

The Five Whites

August 16, 2013

More rain last night--it's wonderful to see lightning when I wake up at 3 a.m. As much as I loved our little cottage, I am SO enjoyin' havin' big windows to look out of. Of course, it still takes me back when I see a horse go past a window--I whip my head around to make sure what I'm seein'!

Well, my homeopathic doctor took me off of the '5 whites' this week. No more flour, sugar, pasta, potatoes or rice.

Shoot me now.

It seems that these things can contribute to inflammation in the body, and retainin' water. I find it funny--I actually prefer NOT to eat these foods--until I'm told I should stay OFF them!

It turns out, however, that I have a way around this little problem. I did research, and found that I can make 'caulitators' by simply cooking cauliflower until soft enough to mash like potatoes, and I can have a 'rice' by runnin' cauliflower through the food processor until it resembles rice grains, and then I just cook them until tender. I prefer kale chips to potato chips anyway, so I'm good there.

Sugar isn't that big a problem for me--I really only want sweet in a beverage like hot tea, so I just use stevia.

Pasta is takin' a little work to figure out--there is suposed to be a BARILLA brand that is made with chickpea flour, and I may be able to have that, or if I can figure out a good non-wheat flour, I can make it myself.

Eatin' healthy is often times a case of just bein' creative so you can have good health AND flavor.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

3 comments:

  1. I have a gluten intolerance and have no problem with brown (long grain) rice and Barilla makes corn based pasta, which is also great. Best wishes on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Evelyn,

    Ah, those nasty whites! I'm sure with your creativity and pluck, you won't miss a thing! Think of zucchini pasta made with one of those fancy spiralizers, or with a carrot peeler.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend gave me a spiralizer recently--it's really more of a peeler, but I just keep runnin' the veggie through it until it's a big pile of curls. Unfortunately, my favorite thing to run through it is...

    POTATOES! LOL! I will try the zuchinni pasta soon, though, thanks.

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete