Thursday, August 15, 2013

Slum Gully Recipe--House Is Lookin' Good

August 15, 2013

Today I mixed up a huge batch of rice, leftovers, stuff from the freezer, fish oil, etc, and fed it to my dogs as part of their 'Slum Gully' treat. I occasionally mix it up and they love it, plus it helps me clean out the pantry without wastin' anything. I make certain nothin' goes in that could cause them trouble (onions, chocolate, stuff like that), and along with their regular dog food it rounds out their diet and they think they have gone to table scrap heaven.

Plus, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than store bought dog food that has a lot of the same stuff in it.

I dunno where the term "slum gully' comes from , I have just heard it for years. I use it to describe any dish that is chock full of different foods. However, I decided to look it up and see if there really was a dish called slum gully.

There is, and here is the recipe from www.cooks.com.


SLUM GULLY
Printed from COOKS.COM


3 lbs. hamburger
1 med. bell pepper
1 med. onion
1 lb. frozen okra, cubed
1 can whole kernel corn
1/3 lb. rice, cooked
2 more cans tomato sauce (8 oz. each)
Chili powder to taste
4 oz. can mushrooms, sliced
Put hamburger, onion and bell pepper in skillet. Add 1 can tomato sauce. Add chili powder to taste. Cover and cook until done. Dump into a large pot.
Add okra, corn, mushrooms, rice, tomato sauce and chili powder to taste. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Serve in bowls with crackers.

Sounds pretty good, huh? It would probably go over well at my house, except for the okra--I seem to be the only one who likes the stuff.

I pretty much have the house put together, at least it's "macro organized' at this point. I have all the like things in the places they should go, I just need to fine tune everything. I'm still workin' to get the wellness studio set up--I have folks clamorin' to get in when it's ready. The first person to go on my table is gonna be the Redneck--he hasn't had a massage in a long time, and he deserves one for all his hard work and sacrifice for this family. 

We are gonna have an afternoon out today, and I'mm lookin' forward to just goin' and window shoppin' for a while--although I'm not sure how to act in a mall anymore...

Well, I got chores. later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013



 

No comments:

Post a Comment