Friday, August 30, 2013

Showin' Up

August 30, 2013

Excitin' development today! A friend from the Redneck's work has a computer programmin' business with his wife, and she is comin' by today to see if she can train me to do spreadsheets for their company. If I can, then I will be workin' from my home office helpin' to make a little extra income for my family.

Cool, huh?

And before you ask--the Redneck was the one who said I should give it a try. I'm done jumpin' ahead of my hubby to do things. Her husband asked my husband, and then we wives got into the picture and set up trainin' for me.

I took a course on how to do this back in college--about 13 years ago. Not sure how much if anything has changed, but we'll see what happens.

I like that it won't interfere with my wellness studio work, and I have  made it clear that I will NOT work after a certain time, so I can spend family time with the Redneck and Obie. She seems good with that.

I told her that if she doesn't think I'm good enough, or if later she thinks it isn't workin' like she needs--she can tell me, and it's okay, it won't hurt my feelin's. It's not me she would be rejectin'--it's my lack of skill.

Let's face it, folks--we ain't always good at everything we try. While yes, you do need to work at bein' good at what you do...

The main point is to TRY.

Motivational speaker Suzy Humphries says that the most important thing is that you SHOW UP.

How many times have you known someone who had more talent than a 'professional', but they didn't 'show up' and work with the talent they had? I know of a young man who was in my high school who was so funny, he was amazin'. He did skits and comic routines for the pep rallys and other school events. As years went by after graduation, I kept thinkin' that I would see him on TV, but I never did.

Then I found a friend of his from high school, and learned that this brilliant young man had done nothin' with his talent--in fact, he had pretty much sank into a mental fugue that turned him bitter at everyone else around him, while the other guys who, while talented, just didn't have the 'umph' that he did, went on to be at least semi famous in their lives.

So, today I'm showin' up to see what I can do. I like to say this is God's barbecue--I'm just showin' up qith the 'tater salad.

Well, I got chores. later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013

1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    Congratulations on the new job! I hope it works out for you, and is as low-stress as possible. Thank you for the kind comment on my blog; your friendship has been such a great blessing to me, as well. May it continue onward!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete