Saturday, August 17, 2013

Opportunity Knocked--Risk Takin'

August 17, 2013

Today my family got up, did chores, then headed out to CABELAS Sportin' Goods store, where the local radio station we love to listen to, 95.9 THE RANCH, was doin' a live broadcast. I took along a signed copy of LESSONS AND BLESSIN'S, and gave it to the mornin' DJ as a gift. He thanked me and said that he would get back to me on how he liked it. Who knows--I could end up on the RADIO!

As we were goin' to the store, I heard all kinds of negative things buzzin' around in my head, about how I shouldn't do this, I'd look dumb, the DJ would probably toss it in the trash, he wouldn't like it, yadda, yadda....

Yeah, all those things could be true, I don't deny it one bit. However, I will never know if I don't give it a shot.  Famous opera singer Bevery Sills said,

"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try."

Every time you move forward, you risk losin'. Just because I have failed at somethin' don't mean I am a failure. It just means I need to find a different way to do somethin'.

Ecclesiastes 11:4-6 says:

"He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap. As you do not know the way the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything. In the morning sow your seed, and at evening withhold not your hand, for you do not know which will prosper, this or that, or whether both alike will be good."

Matthew 25 talks about the servant who didn't risk anything with his master's money, and therefore was proven to be a poor steward.

A smaller example of my own risk takin' is this--I have been makin' up bath salts for sale at my church, and I have done pretty well with the standards like lavender and peppermint. As I was takin' inventory of my Essential Oils, I found a tiny bottle that had no label. It smelled very nice, but I couldn't tell which EO it was.

I had to figure out--do I make a bath salt with it, knowin' I couldn't duplicate it, and just take a chance that it would sell, or did I just put it back and go on with the 'safe' scents? And if I did make one--what would I call it? I can't very well name it TAKE A SHOT, YA MIGHT LIKE IT, could I?

Soooo....

I decided to make a 'limited run' of the salt, which I called WILD MEADOW, since it has a flowery scent. I figure if it sells, great. If it doesn't--I have a personal bath salt for me or to give as a gift.

I'm not sayin' toss your life savin's into an investment program just for the heck of it--I don't believe in risk just for risk's sake. But don't be afraid to take risks.  Bein' alive is a risk. Followin' Jesus is a risk. Lovin' someone is a risk. If you don't risk--you don't LIVE.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013
 

No comments:

Post a Comment