Thursday, August 29, 2013

Food Bankin'--What Do You Need To Do?

August 29, 2013

Worked the food bank again today, only instead of stockin' shelves with food, we gave it out to the needy folks in our area. It breaks my heart to see the folks who need the services that are offered, they are really a diverse group of people.

At first, all I did when I got there was the simple stuff that needed doin', like openin' and layin' out plastic grocery sacks for food to be bagged up in, and tkin' stuff out to the trash. I hadn't worked there in over a year, and I wasn't about to just assume where I could work, because the team that has been there for a long time already has a system of how to do things. You don't just up and take up a spot, when you don't know who works there normally, or how they do it.

Well the doors opened, paperwork was processed, and folks began comin' through. I was layin' out the bags, when I heard my name called. One of the ladies asked if I would hand out the produce (bags of apples, lettuce, onions, etc). I said sure, and moved to take the positiion.

As each person come to my station, I smiled, said "Good mornin'!" and began to ask them which of the bagged items they wanted. I tried to make each person who came through feel as if I had been waitin' just for them. When I had given them what they needed, I told them "Thank you," and moved on to the next in line.

Why did I tell them "Thank you", when it was ME helpin' Them?

You don't get it--THEY were helpin' ME--BLESSIN' me by allowin' me to help them in a time of need. I knew that I was bein' used by God to help others, not because I'm so special, but because I surrendered to His will by showin' up where He led me to be this week. I may never set foot in the food bank again, but this week, for two days, I was allowed to be a small part of what He was doin' in these folk's lives.

See, that's what I don't get--folks sayin' "I want to do what God wants me to do, but I don't know what that is."

Malarkey, says I.

Every day, God shows us what He wants us to do. Yeah, sometimes it may be a bit confusin', I know (BELIEVE ME, I know), but He's always pointin' the way He wants us to go.

First, look in the Bible--it is jammed packed with ways to know His will. His word constantly says how He wants us to live and work and interact other folks in this world. Find a good translation that you understand, and READ IT.

In James 1:5, it says,

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

Pray. A lot. Ask Him where He wants you to go and do, who He wants you helpin'. Don't just get sucked into programs at church because someone asks you to--pray about them. If He says go read to the blind--find a good book and read to them. If he says help in the nursery--go change diapers.

Once I asked Him what He wanted me to do when I began goin' to a new church years ago, before I became a mom. "Lord, I'll do whatever You want, just help me become a part of this church."

Well, I looked up, and right in front of me was a big sign proclaimin' that Vacation Bible School was comin' up, and they needed workers.

I said...

"Okay, anything ELSE You want me to do?"

I have to laugh--I wanted to do somethin' but not that! And yes, I did end up bein' a worker in the VBS that year--and I enjoyed it.

Look at your skill set. What can you do? Can you sew? Make baby clothes. Knit? make warm stuff for soldiers overseas (yes, the ones in COLD CLIMATES, not the desert--yeesh). Carpentry? Join a group that helps to build or repair homes for the elderly. Mechanic? Help someone get to work by fixin' their clunker if you can. Can you teach? Tutorin' comes to mind.

My point is--as Christians, we have NO EXCUSE to not be a part of God's work on this earth. I'm not sayin' that if you have a small child you should ignore it and go help others--at that point in time, that child IS your job--to paraphrase Jesus's words--"What will it profit you to gain the whole world and lose your family?"

Look, I think what I'm sayin' is pretty simple. God has a plan for your life, and a ministry He wants you to do. Sometimes you just got to pray, LISTEN, and step out in faith as to what you're supposed to be doin.

If you screw up--you'll know pretty quick, most of the time. I say MOST of the time, because I know that I have stepped out to help in somethin' that I had NO BUSINESS gettin' involved in, and it almost cost me dearly. Fortunately, as I read the Bible, verses began to leap out at me, showin' me to stop what I was doin', at the same time the Holy Spirit was givin' me clues to reconfigure my life to be more in accordance to what HE wanted, not what *I* thought was good.

There's an old sayin', "You wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him YOUR plans."

Well, I got chores. later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013



 

No comments:

Post a Comment