Monday, August 26, 2013

About To Clean House--What's Your Jesus Rating?

August 26, 2013

The Redneck left for work a little while ago, all the critters are fed and watered. So  now I'm havin' a little time on the web to post and check mail, then I'll set the timer and 'red up' the house, as the Amish say.

Oh yeah, then I get to go haul hay for one of the church elders. Better remember to get my work gloves...

Has anyone ever heard of the game, "6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon"?  It's a parlor game based of the "6 Degrees of Separation" theory--that everyone is connected to everyone else on the planet by 6 degrees.

I dunno what got me to thinking about this one day, but I realized that I have a pretty decent 'Bacon Rating', myself.

First let me explain "Bacon Rating", or BR as I will call it from now on.

You can actually Google an actor's BR by simply typing in the name and the words for BR. It will then pop up on screen.

This is goofy, I know--but hang with me for a bit.

Soooo.....I have a BR of 5, I realized.

You see, I am married to the Redneck, whose father went to high school with Don Johnson of MIAMI VICE fame (yes, I have seen his yearbook photos--not impressive), and Don Johnson and Mary Steenburgen appeared in Southern Discomfort. Mary Steenburgen and Kevin Bacon appeared in End of the Line.

See? A clear 5 degrees separates me from Kevin Bacon!

Now, what that actually has to do with any part of my life, other than just bein' a funny fact...

...I dunno.

I can also claim connections to Merle Haggard and Buck Owens, Tommy Lee Jones, several professionl wrestlers, and a very distant relationship to the Dalton Gang and FDR.

And while they may be interestin'--they mean nuthin'.

But my degree of separation to Jesus Christ?

THAT MEANS EVERYTHING.

You see, there are no 'degrees' of separation from Him. You are either in Him, or you're lost--PERIOD.

However, once you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, you are His--FOREVER.

Even when you screw up--He has you.

Romans 8:35-39 says:

"35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written:“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”[a]


37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[b] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
 
To me, that says that I am secure in Jesus Christ, that I will never lose Him--He is always right there, no matter what.
 
Now, I think that Keven Bacon is cute and a good actor--but will he be there for me when I need someone? um...no.
 
But because I have a Jesus Rating of 0--it means that Jesus is right here, right now, in my life, in my heart. He is there when I have good times and bad, whenever I grieve or rejoice. And as He says in Deuteronomy 31:6:
 
6" Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”
 
What YOUR Jesus Rating?
 
Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2013
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment