Sunday, March 10, 2013

Windy Day--Finally Saw SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

March 10, 2013

The wind today is COLD!. Obie and I went to feed horses in the back pasture before leavin' for church this mornin', and a gust hit me so hard I had to lean into the wind and wait for my breath to come back.

After church, we came home and had a light lunch of leftover spaghetti and salad, and then we settled in to watch a film I've heard a lot about, but never had the desire to watch. SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, starrin' Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

I figured what the heck--I finally read Anne of Green Gables and I liked it--so I'll go for another one and try this film.

It is a sweet film, it's cute, it's kind of funny...

...I don't get the big attraction.

I mean, I like chick flicks, they can be fun. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are really fine actors. But this movie is just....bleh.

Sorry.

The funniest scene is where Tom Hanks and another man are discussin' how women weep over movies. The dialogue goes:

Sam Baldwin: Well I'm not looking for a mail-order bride! I just want somebody I can have a decent conversation with over dinner. Without it falling down into weepy tears over some movie!
Greg: She's, as you just saw, very emotional.
Sam Baldwin: Although I cried at the end of "the Dirty Dozen."
Greg: Who didn't?
Sam Baldwin: Jim Brown was throwing these hand grenades down these airshafts. And Richard Jaeckel and Lee Marvin
[Begins to cry]
Sam Baldwin: were sitting on top of this armored personnel carrier, dressed up like Nazis...
Greg: [Crying too] Stop, stop!
Sam Baldwin: And Trini Lopez...
Greg: Yes, Trini Lopez!
Sam Baldwin: He busted his neck while they were parachuting down behind the Nazi lines...
Greg: Stop.
Sam Baldwin: And Richard Jaeckel - at the beginning he had on this shiny helmet...
Greg: [Crying harder] Please no more. Oh God! I loved that movie.

Now THAT was funny.

But seriously--what can you expect from a woman whose favorite film is JAWS?

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett













 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    I remember seeing "Sleepless in Seattle" when it first came out, and being mildly entertained. :) I hope the wind gives you a break soon!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete