Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thriftology Thursday--Why Be Frugal?

March 28, 2013

Another week is almost gone--they go by fast sometimes, don't they? We get busy and lose track of time.

This week, I want to address just WHY our family is so frugal. Everyone has different reasons to save money--some want to get out of debt, some want to save up for their children's schoolin'--and some folks just want a big ol' pile of money in the bank.

Any of those reason's are good, 'cause let's face it the only reason NOT to be frugal is when that is ALL you're about. You just hate to spend anything. Somehow--I don't think that's healthy.

I work hard to save money because I want to be a good steward of all that God has given me. I like bein' a stay at home wife and mom. I save because I want the Redneck to be able to miss work for something important and not worry that we won't be able to pay bills due to his absence. I enjoy bein' thrifty when doin' so involves creativity and intelligence.  I feel it's a game for me, huntin' down the big bargains and makin' somethin' outta nothin'.

However, one of the best reasons I enjoy frugality is because I like bein' able to do what I want when I want to, and go where I want because I have the money set aside for it.

Take this weekend for instance. As ya'll know, the Redneck has been gone for almost two months, and we miss each other somethin' awful. Well, this weekend, after my son goes to his dad's--I'm hoppin' in the truck and drivin' out to surprise the Redneck way out in West Texas. I have everything worked out--all the way from havin' my animals fed, to gettin' the goodies that I am makin' for the church bake sale to a friend to deliver them on Saturday. I even got my hair cut today, so that I look extra cute!

If I wasn't thrifty--I couldn't afford to do this little trip. It won't be that expensive, but with the price of gas, it's gonna be a bit pricier than I'd like. However, it will be a nice surprise for him, and it will show that I care for him. I'm takin' him a few goodies to make his life a bit more fun while he's stuck out there, and if all goes well...*ahem*...I'll have a bit of 'fun' myself!

Bein' able to be spontaneous and go do somethin' I want is a great gift. And I have that ability due to the fact that I don't mind savin' money on other areas of my life. I buy used clothes, eat simply, and walk when I can to do errands in order to have that ability.

After all--to quote one of my favorite bands, VAN ZANT..."It's only money!"

 
 
Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett


 

No comments:

Post a Comment