Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Takin' A Break--Some Readin' I'm Doin'

March 19, 2013

Whew! I have been organizin' and purgin' a couple of cabinets in my bedroom, and I had no idea just how far behind I was on doin' it, until I looked up and saw it was past noon. I began around 9 a.m., and I'm STILL NOT DONE. Now though, it's at the stage of mostly puttin' the stuff I'm keepin' back and doin' my regular cleanin' chores for the room. However--I told Obie let's get the heck outta here for a bit--so we came into town to post and do other errands.

Last night, I tried makin' GRILLED CREAM CHEESE SANDWICHES, and I gotta tell ya....

...{{SWOON}}.

Oh yeah--they are THAT good.

The recipe is real simple, and it's in Joanne Fluke's BLUEBERRY MUFFIN MURDER. I'm finished re-readin' Diane Mott Davidson's series, so I decided to re-read Joanne FLuke's series of mysteries, and they also have a lovely culinary bent in them. Her heroine is Hannah Swensen, and she is a baker of world class  cookies in Lake Eden, Minnesota. The books are wonderful, and I just finished BLUEBERRY MUFFIN MURDER, hence the yen to try the grilled cream cheese 'sammies'.

I recommend visitin' her website (www.murdershebaked.com) for news of this wonderful series, and for her wonderful sugar cookie recipe. She also has a cookbook out Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook, and that's my next purchase when I hit the book store. It has all the recipes from all the books, AND a few new recipes we haven't seen before.

Along with these, I have started a book by Chaim Grad (April 4, 1910 – April 26, 1982), titled THE YESHIVA. It's a thick book--almost 3 inches--and it's fascinatin'. It's about life in a yeshiva, or Jewish scholar school for young men, and I am understandin' it takes place between the World Wars. The characters are interestin' and complex. The glimpse we are given into the lives of not only the students and teachers in the yeshiva, but also the parents, wives and other townspeople is a captivatin' look into a culture that is often little understood by outsiders to the orthodox Jewish faith. Even though the book was written in the late 1960s, it is still a great read.

Oh yeah--11 more days till the Redneck gets home!

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett




 

No comments:

Post a Comment