Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Look At Insults

March 12, 2013

Every so often, I GOOGLE the phrase 'Christian Homemaking Blogs or Sites". I do this because I like to keep current with any other folks out there who are workin' to spread the Gospel and the philosophy of simple livin'.

But sometimes I come across things that I don't expect. A few weeks ago, I came across a site that was filled with criticism for one of the blogs that I follow. The blog in question is not the point--it is a good blog, Biblically based, and though I don't agree with everything the blogger says--I have a lot of respect for them and feel it is a great blog.

For some reason, readin' the mean things that were said about the blog sort of upset me, and I dwelt on the subject really more than I should have. I don't like folks who say unkind things about others, and yet, I have learned that I can do NOTHIN' to stop them, nor can I do anything to keep others from believin' the bad things that are said. So I let it go, and went on with my life.

However, this mornin' while I was doin' some readin' in Joyce Meyer's book,"CHANGE YOUR WORDS CHANGE YOUR LIFE, I came across a delightful quote from George Whitefield, an English Evangelist (December 27, 1714 – September 30, 1770). He was once sent a letter that falsely accussed him of wrong doin', and he sent a reply, which I intend to emulate with all my critics (yes--I DO have critics. Hard to believe, I know--but there ya are!  {{GRIN}}).

He wrote;

"I thank you heartily for your letter. As for what you and my other enemies are saying against me, I know worse things about myself than you will ever say about me. With love in Christ, George Whitefield."

Wasn't that great? I was readin' Proverbs 12 this mornin', and came across;

"16 Fools show their annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult."

Don't those two go together beautifully? I did a little more research, and found in Isaiah 51:7;

“Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have taken my instruction to heart: Do not fear the reproach of mere mortals or be terrified by their insults."

And in 2 Corinthians 12:10;

"That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Again in 1 Peter 2:23;

"When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly."

So keep livin' as He would have you live, and when folks throw insults at you--hand them over to God Who knows the true condition of your heart.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett













 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment