Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Windy Night--Some Blog News--New Readin' Assignment For Me--Devotional Book Review

February 26, 2013

I used to think that Chicago was The Windy City. Then I spent last night retrievin' all my dog houses from across the yard. I had some very confused canines as they watched thier houses be tossed by big gusts of wind. At least things have calmed down this mornin', and the sun is shinin' brightly.

If you look to the right of the blog, you will see that I have added another blog to my list--I found her after I posted links to several homemakin' blogs yesterday. I liked what I saw, so I have added ORGANIZING MADE FUN (http://organizingmadefun.blogspot.com/). Check it out--I bet you will find all sorts of fun ideas--and CHEAP TOO!

In reference to another blog I follow, LOVE ABOUNDS AT HOME (http://loveaboundsathome.blogspot.com/), Itoday I found this video, and I wanted to share it woth ya'll, 'cause it really tells how *I* feel about social media--but I couldn't really say it right.

 
 
Isn't she just precious? Her blog has always been an inspiration to me, and I hope you check her out, too.
 
 
Since I turn 56 tomorrow (YAY ME!), I wanted to do somethin' for myself, since my Beloved Redneck can't be here for the day (no--that wasn't a whine--just a simple fact). I have heard so many of the ladies talk about readin' or watchin' ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, that I have decided to give the book a try. I have given myself the gift of settin' aside time in the afternoons, while Obie is listenin' to music, so that I can read the book. It will give me a period of rest, and a new insight to literature. I will let ya'll know what I think of the book.
 
Another book that I have recently found in a thrift store, is A DIARY OF PRIVATE PRAYER, by John Baille (26 March 1886, Gairloch – 29 September 1960, Edinburgh). He was a Calvanist. In this little book I see a wonderful sense of seekin' companionship with God. It was printed in 1949, and it is just a charmin' little book to read. It is set up with 31 days of mornin' and evenin' prayers, however, these prayers are, as the author states, "are to be regarded as aids; they are not intended to form the whole of the morning's or evening's devotions or to take the place of more individual  prayers for oneself or others."
 
I found them to be a wonderful startin' place for prayer-- a way to calm the soul in order to really begin to pray. Sort of like a calmin', centerin' breath, ya might say.
 
A sample from the first day prayers follows;
 
"Eternal Father of my soul, let my first thought today be of Thee, let my first impulse be to worship Thee, let my first speech by Thy name, let my first action be to kneel before Thee in prayer."
 
Is that cool or what? I think it really embodies the scripture in Isaiah 26:3;
 
King James Version (KJV)
3" Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."

You can find this little treasure on several web sites that sell books. I encourage you to seek it out.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett



 




 
 
 



2 comments:

  1. Evelyn, happy birthday a day early! The Anne of Green Gables series are wonderful books. Thank you for sharing that prayer and verse. Both have touched me today.

    Gina/Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the term "Windy City" for Chicago comes from the renown of its politicians....

    ReplyDelete