Monday, February 18, 2013

Frazzled Mornin'--Folks In Hospital--WWJD Or WIGG?

February 18, 2013

Overslept this mornin', then had to jump up, throw on clothes and run to feed store before I could do the regular chores. Talk about feelin' guilty--I felt like slumpin' down in the seat of the truck with my hat pulled down low as I drove past Fancypants on the way out. She was givin' me the 'stink eye', and wantin' to know where her breakfast was!

Fortunately, I was able to zip into town, grab the feed I needed, and get back quickly. I THINK she forgave me...

..hey, I TRIED to explain that I had miscalculated the contents of the feed bin, but she didn't seem to care.

After all that, I got a text from a friend at church, lettin' me know that our preacher's wife was on her way to the emergency room, and that another lady from church was already admitted and about to go through a procedure to see what has been causin' her to have blackouts.

Obie and I hopped in the truck and checked on them both--seems that they are both doin' well but waitin' on results of tests.

Prayer on their behalf would be appreciated.

You know the popular Christian initial thing, WWJD? (What would Jesus Do?). Well, I been thinkin' about that, and as much as I like it--I think it's been over done through the years. Taken from a well loved book, IN HIS STEPS, by Charles Monroe Sheldon, it has been reduced to a catch phrase of sorts. Like the old sayin' HAVE A NICE DAY, it has been overused to the point of bein' plopped onto a plastic armband, or onto coffee mugs.

If you have never read the original book, I recommend it highly, as it will put the phrase into the correct perspective. It tells of a church that is asked to do nothing for one year without first asking "What would Jesus do?" There is nothing trite about the plot, since it does show the trials that answering and then actually DOING what the answer to that question cause.

We as Christians are supposed to be doing this in our lives each day. But someone (not mentionin' any names, but his initials are The Devil) has snagged the concept and trivialized it into popular culture.

Colossians 3:17 says;

"And whatever you do, whether by speech or action, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

1 Corinthians 10:31:

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

So, I was thinkin' that maybe we need a new abbreviation, askin'...

Will It Glorify God?

Yes, it spells WIGG, but hey, work with me here, Okay? Perhaps we should take a fresh look at our actions when held up the word of God, and ask--

Will what I am about to do GLORIFY God?

Thnk about it, and lemme know what ya think.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett





3 comments:

  1. Evelyn, I hope both your friends are doing better. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the pastors at my church says instead of "WWJD" it ought to be "WWPT"--"What Would People Think". Because that's often how Christians make decisions. If we actually did what Jesus did, he helped the poor, the downtrodden, the SINNERS! He also A) lived a perfect life and B) died to pay for our sins. Often the WWJD is used as a legalistic tool rather than one of Gospel promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that--may be the basis for a new poem.

      Delete