Thursday, January 10, 2013

Some Answers To Prayers--What NOT to Do Durin' a Fast...

January 10, 2013

Received a text from the friend we are prayin' for last night. It seems that there are answers to prayer happenin' in her situation.

SMALL answers, but answers nonetheless.

I have to tell ya'll about the lesson I accidentally learned while fastin' yesterday. I had decided to do a modified fast, drinkin' juices in stead of just water, since I have to be careful of lettin' my blood sugar get low. So I took the time the night before to make up four jars of vegetable juice for the fridge. I also made certain that all three of my son's meals were ready to go--all I had to do was heat them up for him. I did all this so i wouldn't have to handle food durin' my fast.

It worked great. I would make Obie's meal, pour my juice into a glass and sip it while he ate. I used the time to read our family devotions as he ate. I was doin' good.

Until my brain went south or something...

About 3 p.m., I was finished with all my chores, so I decided to pull out my laptop, open up the Word program...

...and work on my COOKBOOK.

Seriously--WHERE WAS MY HEAD?

I was typin' along merrily, puttin' in recipe after recipe, and suddenly my stomach went crazy. My mouth began to water, there were sounds comin' out of my mid-region that would have scared a dragon--it was awful.

I quickly finished the one recipe I was workin' on and shut down thw laptop.

I thought I had dodged the bullet, so to speak, and got my cravin's under control.

Then we went to Bible study at church.

Where one of the ladies had brought CHOCOLATE BANANA NUT BREAD. And she gave my son a HUGE piece.

All I could think was, shoot me now.

But I got busy in the Bible study, and after a few moments, I was fine.

I was soooo glad to drink my last glass of juice before bedtime.

Yes, I sacrificed a little food time yesterday, but I know it was worth it, because I felt a focus on my prayers
that is absent from a prayer time that is laced with a full belly.

Scripture has a lot to say about prayer and fasting. www.precious-testimonies.com has this to say:

"When the righteous pray fervently, God’s power is released to accomplish much.  But, what about those times when the cares of life distract us from seeing our righteous standing before God through Christ and cause us to pray limp prayers that bounce back at us?  In such times, our prayers need help.  We need a breakthrough in our prayer lives.
A biblical key to a breakthrough in our prayer lives is to join fasting with prayer.  Jesus told His disciples on one occasion that the reason they could not cast out a particular spirit of infirmity from a demonized lad was because of their unbelief (See: Matthew 17:20-21).  A few verses later, He added these words:  "But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting." The point is that prayer and fasting combined can debunk our unbelief and re-empower our prayer lives.  When prayer alone doesn’t work, prayer and fasting will bring the breakthrough."

So give fastin' combined with prayer a try. Even a modified fast will help you to focus more on the act of prayer.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment