Friday, January 11, 2013

Solitary Weekend Ahead--Egg Rolls Are Easy

January 11. 2013

Looks like I'll be spendin' another weekend alone--my son is gettin' to go spend the weekend with his father. He leaves after supper and won't be back till late Sunday. With the Redneck gone at work, I will have the house all to myself again, and only have to schedule stuff for me. I admit--I will miss them both, and yet, I am lookin' forward to time alone to rest and refresh. I have everal Diane Mott Davidson books ready to go. I have been rereadin' her CATERING TO NOBODY mystery series, and it is a lot of fun.

Last night, Obie and I made egg rolls. I had gotten a lot of produce from the markdown section at the grocery store--yellow and green bell peppers, onions, broccoli, etc. After processin' a lot of it for freezin', I then minced up the rest in different batches--the firmer veggies like carot, broccoli stems, the onions and peppers, then mushrooms.

I sauteed the different batches in a bit of olive oil and sesame oil and then mixed them all together with a couple of spoonfuls of fish sauce. I heated up oil in my electric skillet, and after puttin' the rolls together, I fried them for about 2-3 minutes on each side. They made a great supper, served with a bowl of soy sauce on the side.

Egg rolls are a great way to use up veggies that may be a bit past thier prime. Wrappin' the rolls is easy, there are simple instructions on the package of wrappers. Just be sure to sautee the veggies of smae density together-hard, soft, etc, and them mix them together. You can use either fish sauce (my favorite) or oyster sauce to further flavor the fillin'.

If you want to make them ahead of time, you can, but you need to fry them, not just wrap them. The wraps get soggy if they are not fried. You can then reheat them in the oven at a low temp for a bit.

Darn, I want more rolls--I may be pickin' up another package of wrappers tonight, so I can fix them for the weekend...

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment