Friday, January 4, 2013

Redneck Back At Work--Homemakin' Binder--Willie Nelson's New Book, A Review

January 4, 2013

The Redneck went back to work a few days ago, so it's just me and my son for a while. We are the homefront force--we keep things goin' while our fearless leader is gone. I once read that while it is the husband's job to make the livin'--it's the wife's job to make that life WORTH LIVIN'.

I'm still workin' on my HOMEMAKING BINDER. I have a little trouble with a master schedule, since I have so many different types of days. I think what I may do is simply put down what has to be done each day, in the order that it needs to be done (ie, wake up, dress, feed animals, fix breakfast, etc), and the time it needs to all be completed by. Then add in the extra things that must be done each week, and the days that they are done (ie, clean mom-in-law's house Fridays, work food pantry Wednesday, etc). I dunno--still figgerin' it out.

This mornin' I was up at 5:30 a.m., and while the household was quiet, I began readin' WIllie Nelson's new book, ROLL ME UP AND SMOKE ME WHEN I DIE: MUSINGS FROM THE ROAD. I like WIllie, and I love his music. No--I DON'T AGREE with everything he thinks, and if ya'll got a problem with certain words bein' bandied about--don't read it. But if you want a look into the mind of one of country music's greatest songwriters--check it out.

I learned that I write a lot like him--minus the vulgar words and karmic reincarnation references. I enjoy story tellin', and I like to use humor in my work. I also learned what some of the songs that he has written over the years were actually about, and I was a tad surprised.

I was also amazed to learn the dude is about 80 years old--and still tourin' and recordin'. If nothin' else, Wille Nelson stands as proof that age doesn't mean OLD. I get so tired of folks who whine abour agin'. I had a client once who was always sayin' how hard it was gettin' old. I told her I agreed, and that was why I had decided to STOP. I know you can't stop agin'--it's a fact of life. But ya ain't gotta get OLD--THAT IS A CHOICE. I will keep on keepin' on until I just can't, or the Lord calls me home.

A friend and I were once doin' somethin' together back in the 80's, and right in the middle of everything, she stops, looks at me and dead serious, asks,

"What am I gonna do when Willie Nelson dies?"

How do ya answer THAT?

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett 



3 comments:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    Hooray for working Rednecks, and hooray for homemaking binders! I know what you mean about making up a daily schedule; how do you make one around little ones and animals? And life? I'm still working on mine for this year, but at least I have concrete lessons for the children all worked out so they know what they're supposed to do every day.

    Onward and upward, and a happy New Year to you!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    p.s. Do I owe you a letter? I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No--I owe YOU a letter! Between Christmas, the "pack 'cause we gotta move then unpack 'cause we ain't gotta move" frenzy, the Redneck's new job, readjustin' to a daytime schedule...let's just say that I owe several folks letters! I have it in my schedule to catch up this week.

      Bible Babe

      Delete
  2. I was just looking around here and visiting for a bit. I watched a couple of your videos and enjoyed them! I have to say, I love Willie Nelson. I don't know anything about him personally, but I've always loved his song (with Waylon Jennings), "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."
    Have a great week!
    Blessings
    Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete