Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Rainy Day--What Is True Peace?

January 9, 2013

It's a mooshy, squooshy day. It has been rainin' and drizzlin' all last night and today, so the ground is soaked, and the atmosphere is just, well,

blech.

And yet, it the day that the Lord has made, so I will rejoice and be glad in it.

I have been prayin' for my friend and her situation, and have talked to her a bit today also. The first thing out of her mouth was how could she pray for me today.

Seriously--that rocks.

Here is a woman who is facin' somethin' that I can't even IMAGINE goin' through--and she wants to pray for ME and MY needs.

Once there were two artists who were asked to each paint what they saw as true peace. One painted a picture of a serene valley, with a sunny sky and just delightful, calm scenery. The other painted a ragin' thunderstorm--lightnin', wind and rain. But right in the middle of the picture, in an old oak tree, there was a bird on a nest, sleepin' peacefully.

Which do you think was the true picture of peace?

I read recently that true peace--the kind that God gives--cannot come without opposition. We have to experience obstacles in our lives, so we can truly see what God can do in our lives.

John 14:27 says:

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful."

John 16:33:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

2 Timothy 1:7:

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."

My friend is the bird in the oak tree. Yes, she is nervous about her and her son's future, but she knows that ultimately--GOD IS IN CHARGE.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment