Monday, January 21, 2013

Introducin' Meditation Mondays

January 21, 2013

First of all--Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Okay--I have been studyin' several good Bible courses, and I wanted to begin sharin' some of the wisdom that I have gleaned from them. So--I am tryin' out doin' a Meditaion Monday, where I will post about whatever study I am currently workin' through.

This week, I want to introduce LIVING ABOVE WORRY AND STRESS, from the Women of Faith Study Guide Series, from Thomas Nelson Publishers. It is a bit older studay, in fact, I found it at the DOLLAR GENERAL in thier book section.

However, it is a wonderful study guide, with insights from many women in the Christian culture; Luci Swindoll, Sheila Walsh, Barbara Johnson, and others. It is a 12 week course, with a devotion and questions for each week. I like that, since I have a few days to acclimate to what I'm learnin'.

So the followin' is MY way of lookin' at what is bein' taught--MY viewpoint.

The first week is about Scattered Lives. The main scripture for this week is Psalm 102:103:

1 Hear my prayer, Lord;
let my cry for help come to you.
2 Do not hide your face from me
when I am in distress.
Turn your ear to me;
when I call, answer me quickly.

3 For my days vanish like smoke;
my bones burn like glowing embers.
 
The study goes on to talk of how we all would like to have a steady, quiet pace to our lives, and how we feel sooverwhelmed when we allow things to get too busy.
 
I agree wholeheartedly, since I can speak from experience of how insane life can get when we crowd in everything we can to our day.
 
It also states, however, the\at the opposite--slothfulness--is not good either. Theremust be a balance to our lives. The followin' verses have a lot to say about this:
 
Proverbs 6:6-8:
6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.
 
Proverbs 12:24:
24 Diligent hands will rule, but laziness ends in forced labor.
 
Proverbs 13:4
 A sluggard’s appetite is never filled,
but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
 
Proverbs 31:10-31
10 [a]A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
 
And by the way--the Proverbs 31 woman is NOT so busy she is out of balance! If you really look at the way it is written--she ain't doin' this all in ONE DAY.. There are seasons to her life, she is in BALANCE.
 
The bottom line of this week's devotion is, in my mind--to not just go about doin' constantly. Insead, ASK GOD what HE wants you to do. Don't let your llife become scattered and overwhelmin'.
 
The last thing this devotion asks you to do is to think of a leaf. If it's a fall leaf, yes it's beautiful for a time, until it detaches from it's source of life. Then it is blown about with every wind that comes, whether a soft breeze of a poweful gust. It hits the dirt, gets wet and dirty, and eventually either rots or is burned up.
 
However, if it is a leaf that has stayed attached to it's tree, it's source of life--it is soft, pliable--ALIVE.
 
Jesus speaks of stayin' attached to Him in John 15:4-8:
 
4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

To me this says that we are to stay attached to our source--Jesus. I know that when I take the time to pray and study His Word--I feel more alive, more calm and balanced throughout the day.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2013 by Evelyn Edgett 







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment