Tuesday, November 20, 2012

TWO DAYS TO THANKSGIVIN'!--Odd Advice That Really WORKS

November 20, 2012

Yup--only TWO DAYS to Thanksgivin'. We have made all the arrrangements for feedin' animals, what to wear, and where to meet my big brother so we can all have a time of fellowship, football, and admit it--GREAT FOOD!

We even have 'fancy' new shirts to wear. I'm not sayin' my horses are spoiled--but the local tack shop had new tee shirts printed up with thier logos, and MY FAMILY got the first three! I figure with those, jeans and boots--we will be STYLIN', ya dig?

Our family loves to read BACKWOODSMAN MAGAZINE, "the magazine for the twenty first century frontiersman' (www.backwoodsmanmag.com). It is dedicated to self sufficiency, wood lore, and recallin' the old days (actually, a lot of the 'old days' were durin' my childhood).

This latest issue had an interestin' letter to the editor. A gentleman from Missouri wrote in that he had been advised by a doctor that if he was stung by an insect, he should simply tape a penny to the spot for 15 minutes, and it would provide relief.

I got a chance to test that claim this mornin'. I was wormin' my horses, and there were some small bees that kept buzzin' around, annoyin' both me and the animals. Suddenly, I felt the tell-tale pain and burnin' that comes with a sting. I scraped the stinger out and went on with what I was doin, but the pain was gettin' pretty bad, and the spot was startin' to swell a bit. I'm not allergic, but it was uncomfortable to beat the band.

I grabbed a penny from the jar, and with the Redneck's help, I got the coin taped over the spot.

I felt almost instant relief, and after a time, I removed the coin to reveal only the tiniest red dot, as if I had been pricked by a pin. No pain, no swellin'.

You can bet we have added pennies and tape to our emergancy kits! Hope that helps ya'll.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2012 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment