Monday, November 19, 2012

Christmas Tunes

November 19, 2012

Goodness--how the year is progressin'! It's 3 days to Thanksgivin'. Seems like all I can think about is the yummy meal we will be enjoyin' with our friends and my brother, along with the fellowship and football game fun.

I haven't really done a lot of decoratin' for Christmas in many years, due to either our livin' in smaller homes, our schedules--but mostly due to our wantin' to reserve our own home as a retreat from the chaos of the holidays. I do have a one piece ceramic nativity that I set out on a shelf or table, and maybe a wreath on the door. But that is pretty much it. We would rather go where there is a plethora of Christmas decorations for our viewin', walk around to ooh and ahh (okay, we really DON'T oooh and ahh...it ain't our thing), window shop and dream a bit, perhaps splurge on a dinner out, then come home and be thankful for what we have...and often for what we DON'T have--like huge credit card bills after the holidays.

And yet...

...I LOVE the MUSIC of Christmas.

Seriously--on this Friday, I will be crankin' up the stereo, poppin' 6 cds into the player, and rockin' out to Christmas music. Bing Crosby's WHITE CHRISTMAS, Elvis Presley's BLUE CHRISTMAS,
Vince Vance and the Valiants ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU, The Tractor's BIG NIGHT, and a lot more. I will clean and cook to all those wonderful tunes. I will be hummin' and beltin' out ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU, SANTA LIKES TO ROCK IT, CHRISTMAS IN KILLARNEY, and of course--Bob River's LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM sung to the tune of the HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN (don't look at me like that--it WORKS).

And no, I don't just listen to secular songs. I adore HANDEL'S MESSIAH--I mean, seriously--is there ANYBODY who hears that who doesn't just wanna jump up and praise God when they hear THE HALLELUJAH CHORUS?

Oh--if there is ANYWAY I can ever find a copy of Andy William's LITTLE ALTAR BOY on cd...I love the quiet hush of the song, that to me tells of a man wishin' that his life and faith was as simple as a child's.

Another favorite song of mine is GABRIEL'S MESSAGE, sung by Sting. You can almost FEEL the power of this heavenly bein', as he tells the Virgin Mary of the comin' Messiah.

And don't forget Luciano Pavoratti's AVE MARIA.

And...yes, I even like Madonna's SANTA BABY(Oh come ON--it's CUTE).

I have an old hymnal, and I love to open it when I'm by myself and just sing the many hymns that graced my childhood. GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMAN, JOY TO THE WORLD, IT CAME UPON THE MIDNIGHT CLEAR, and all the others.

Hmmm....I may noe wait till friday--I think I'm gonna crank up the tunes TONIGHT.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2012 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment