Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Trail Ride For St. Jude's--Homemade Root Beer

October 10, 2012

We had a busy weekend—our cowboy church hosted a trail ride and auction to raise funds for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Even though it was cold, we had a great time, and we pretty much met our goal. I’ll find out for sure tonight at church.

Friday, Brian and I went to the campgrounds (Obie chose to visit his dad instead of campin’ in cold weather—imagine that), got all set up, and got my horse, Fancypants, settled in. Brian rode her for the trial ride, ‘cause I had a lot to do for the rest of the event.

We had hamburgers, venison chili, hotdogs, and s’mores for supper that night, and it was a great time of fellowship with our church. Afterwards, we sat around the campfire and sang all kinds of songs while Preach and his wife played their guitars. Around 10 we all called it a day and went to bed. We were pretty cozy in our little tent down the hill from everyone else, and we slept good. 

The next mornin’, Brian went in search of coffee while I got to sleep in a bit longer. Unfortunately, Fancy kept playin’ snooze alarm, and every few minutes she would whinny outside the tent. I gave up, got dressed, and went in search of breakfast.

After breakfast, we started saddlin’ Fancy. She cooperated—right up until somethin’ startled her. I was holdin’ her head while she was bein’ saddled, when suddenly, she jerked her head up, then brought it back down hard…

…on my left temple.

I didn’t see stars, exactly, but I felt like my head exploded. I still held onto her, and she was lookin’ at me as if to say, “Oooops….” Brian took her halter, and I sorta wandered over to the picnic table and sank down on the bench. I kept wantin’ to cry. I knew that wouldn’t make me feel any better, plus I knew it would worry the Redneck. So I kept quiet, but I gotta tell ya—it was hard to be a ‘big girl’ right then!

After a few minutes, I stood up and took hold of Fancy again, tellin’ her it was okay, I wasn’t mad at her. She just rested her chin on my shoulder and made her little chuckin’ sounds, like she was apologizin’. We finished the saddlin’ and went up to the registration area.

We had about 35 riders, which was good for the weather like it was. They took off for a 3 hour ride, and the rest of us finished settin’ up for lunch and the auction.

Lunch was great—smoked brisket and all the trimmin’s. Afterwards, we set up and had the auction. I got a framed and signed Dave Merrick print—for $10! While there were some great bargains—a lot of things went for really high bids. There were even a few biddin’ wars that were hilarious to watch. We had a silent auction, too, and I won two of those—one by waitin’ till the last minute…and biddin’ ONE PENNY over the last bid!

We even raffled off a brand new saddle. I think we raised almost $1,000 just in those ticket sales alone.

We made it home by about 6 p.m., after the campfires were put out and any trash hauled away. We put Fancy in the pasture, and after bathin’ and havin’ a really simple supper—we passed smooth out about 8.

So—how do ya top a weekend like that?

Simple—you learn how to make homemade ROOTBEER!

A while back, I found a recipe in an old Mormon homemakin’ manual, and I finally bought the ingredients and made my very first batch Monday evenin’. After it chilled, I tried it—and I am hooked. I have included the recipe here.

Twenty Four Hour Root Beer

1 tsp dry yeast
2 ½ cups sugar
3 Tblsp Root Beer Extract

Combine in gallon jar. Fill with water, tighten lid. Let stand at room temperature for 12 hours—then chill for 12 more. Serve immediately.

Pretty simple, huh? I used a gallon water jug, and just used well water from our sink. If you figure out your cost for the basic ingredients—a gallon is cheap to make, and you can control the sugar content too. It doesn’t foam up like a commercial root beer, but it has a nice taste.

Well, I got chores. Later ya’ll.© 2012 by Evelyn Edgett


  1. Dear Evelyn,

    Ouch about the whack on the head! Horses have the hardest heads ever, don't they?

    The root beer sounds lovely (I always do it the hard way, with real herbs) and easy, and the campout sounds like lots of fun!



    p.s. I just sent off a letter to you today!

  2. Okay--I want the herb based recipe! I like the extract one, 'cause it is so easy, but I'm always interested in learnin' somethin' new.

    I should get your letter today--YIPPEE!!!!!!!!
    Love, Evelyn