Friday, July 20, 2012

Bueno Bloggin'--Wall Of Wonder Part 6

July 20, 2012

This mornin' I am bloggin' from a TACO BUENO. They have free WiFi, so Obie and I are partakin' of a breakfast burrito and the internet.

Why, you may inquire, are we at a fast food place? Well, the Redneck got yet ANOTHER good job offer, with even BETTTER pay and hours, so while he is at the interviewing process, we are simply hangin' about.

Also, askin' for prayer about this job opportunity. I know that if God wants hhim to have it, all will go smoothly. I'm just askin' for wisdom as we make these new decisions. As Joyce Meyer says, We're doin' our best and lettin' God handle the rest.


Okay,so the next item on my Wall Of Wonders is a very humble lookin’ device, but it has been of great service in my kitchen for over 20 years.

My little rice cooker was a gift from a Vietnamese neighbor. She learned that I love all kinds of Asian cookin’, but that I was hopeless when it came to cookin’ rice. So, for Christmas one year, she handed me a little white electric rice pot, and it has seldom been idle since. Most rice cookers can also be used as a steamer for veggies.

Rice, white, brown or wild, is a wonderful food. Inexpensive and fillin’, it can replace pasta and potatoes in meals. It’s delicious plain, with butter, for dinner. Add some brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup, and it’s a tasty breakfast dish. It can be incorporated into a casserole. And of course, beans and rice are a staple of many southern dishes. If you want to be adventurous, learn to make sushi rolls or other Asian delights. I almost LIVED on rice and seaweed rolls when I lived in Korea.

Rice can be in any type of meal—from Mexican cuisine to Italian, along with Japanese, Korean, or Chinese food. Here is a recipe for a great little snack from Italy, called:

Arancini—Rice Balls.
2 cups cooked rice
2 eggs
½ cup grated cheese (most of the time you would use mozzarella, but I’ve used other types for different flavors)
¾ cup bread crumbs

Mix it all together in a bowl, form into 1 inch balls. Roll in more bread crumbs, then fry in oil in skillet until brown. You can serve these with spaghetti sauce.

I make them up as a way to use up leftover rice from dinner. You can add seasonings, like oregano for the Italian flavor, or a bit of taco seasoning when you use Mexican cheeses for a Southwestern taste.

Well, I got chores. Later ya’ll.
© 2012 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment