Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead--Movie Review

May 1, 2012

I think I mentioned that I had found a few videos on YOUTUBE.com about a man named Joe Cross, and his documentary film, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD. I found the previews interestin', and the videos he uploads to You Tube are helpful to folks who want to do juice fasts, or as he calls them, 'reboots'.

So when a friend loaned me her copy of the film, I jumped at the chance to see it.

Boy, am I glad I did.

The film is essentially how Joe Cross, a successful Australian businessman, went about regaining his health after several years of being overweight and suffering from an auto-immune disease, sort of like chronic hives. He and his film crew travel across the United States, talking to folks about juicing, health, diet, etc. During this trip, Joe does a 60 day juice fast, WITH THE SUPERVISION OF A DOCTOR. He gets regular blood tests and the doctor advises him through the results.

I found this fascinating, of course, but Joe really hits you in the heartstrings when he meets Phil, a truck driver who is around 400 pounds, and has the exact same auto-immune disease that Joe has. After talking, Joe gives Phil his contact information, and says that if Phil ever wants to get help, he can call Joe and Joe will do what he can to help him.

As you can guess, Phil does make the decision to call Joe--and from there on in the film you are witness to a miracle.

I recommend this film to anyone who has ever thought they were never going to be healthy again, or that they would never reach their goals and dreams in life. You will be stoked up after you see this movie--and I'm not talking the usual "YOU CAN DO IT!" hysterical hype you often get in 'self help' seminars. You will simply see that you CAN accomplish good goals for yourself.

I like this film , because Joe Cross doesn't preach at the viewer. He doesn't say "Do this, do this, DO THIS!" He instead tells the viewer what his own situation is, and shows what he has done to correct his problems. He doesn't give you a bunch of jargon about eating healthy--he uses terms that make sense--AND HE EXPLAINS THEM. Thanks, Joe. There are some cute cartoon segments that help to explain terminology--I actually UNDERSTAND a couple of concepts that I have known for years but just couldn't grasp till now.

Joe is charming and funny as he talks with different folks along the way, and he doesn't get offended ad the ones who think he's nuts. One adorable little old lady says he's "crazier than hell" for doing the 60 day fast. Joe just grins.

However, Joe really shines as a human being when he meets and subsequently helps Phil. He is encouraging but realistic, and he just comes across as a guy you can't help but like as he shows genuine concern for others. Phil will also grab you by the heart as he works toward his own goal of healthy living.

I give this movie five carrots. It is well worth the rental or purchase price. You can find it online at www.fatsickandnearlydead.com. As I said, Joe Cross also has some really good videos on You Tube. I'm gettin' my own copy, because I want to be able to watch it anytime I feel I may be slippin' off my health path.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2012 by Evelyn Edgett

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris--welcome to my little corner of the internet--how did you find me? I'm always curious as to how folks land at my site. I'll check your blog out.

      Delete