Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Poor Spellin'--Easter Sunday--Book Review--Home Cookin'

April 10, 2012

First, let me apologize for the atrocious spellin' I have subjected ya'll to lately. I am extremely nearsighted, and my eyeglasses need to be replaced. Until I can get to doin' that--I have to remove my glasses to see the screen, and I have to look down to type. Unfortunately--that causes a LOT of errors. I try to catch them, but I don't always. Once I have wifi at my house, I will be able to use my laptop and a word program to keep track of what I'm writin', and it will be better...I hope.

We had a wonderful Easter. Brian had the day off, and we attended church together. It was a great time of praise, worship and fellowship. After church, we had a quiet afternoon, and we grilled steaks for dinner. We decided on roasted potatoes, so I went through my new 50 pound bag of potatoes. I couldn't believe how BIG they were. It took me a while to find five potatoes that WEREN'T huge to bake up. If I bought them at a store, I would pay over $2 apiece for them, but I got them all for only $11.

We finished makin' dinner, includin' a salad made with all kinds of fresh veggies, and we took it all next door to the inlaw's for a nice family meal. It was pretty good, if I say so myself.

I have been readin' THE ART OF EATING IN: How I learned To Stop SPending And Love The Stove, by Cathy Erway. It's the true story of a young woman who decided to stop eating out in New York City. She blogged about it, and eventually her adventures became a book.

I like how she made reasonable rules for her experiment, and she didn't go at it in a "BEWARE THE EVIL EMPIRE!" kind of way. She simply decided to see what she could discover by not eating out all the time, like most New Yorkers do. Instead, she opted to cook her meals at home or at friend's homes. There are some good recipes, and I really respect her viewpoints--and I hope she eventually writes a cook book.

Her blog is www.noteatingoutinny.com. I hope you check it out.

I have to admit, we have eaten out at restaurants more in the past four months we have been back in Texas then we have in a long time. The fact is--there are just more opportunities to do so. Plus there are so many MORE places to eat at, and they are all within a much shorter distance than what we had to choose from in Oklahoma.

However, since I bought the new dehydrator, and have gotten back into goin' to the Farmer's Market for my ingredients, we have been slowin' down in the dinin' out experience. We are focusin' more on utilizin' the resources we have to create tasty, frugal home cooked meals. Cathy Erway's book has reinforced our new routine, and so tonight, after I am finished with my postin'--Obie will assist me in makin' a salad with fresh ingredients, and we will prepare a batch of tortellini stuffed with porcini mushrooms, and either tilapia or chicken. I picked up the tortellini at the ALDIS market in Saginaw. I love to buy my eggs, butter and a few other dairy produst there. The amount I save by buyin' large amounts more than makes up for the slightly longer distance I have to go.

Today, I also found a small round of Brie cheese for a great price. Maybe we can enjoy it with my new batch of veggie crackers. My last batch turned out almost perfect. I'm figurin' it out.

Well, I got chores. Later Ya'll.
© 2012 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment