Wednesday, April 4, 2012

New Dehydrator & Garage Sale Blessin's

April 4, 2012

Hey Ya'll.

Had a wonderful weekend. Obie left to go to his father's ealry Saturday mornin', and Brian had gone to work at 5 a.m., so after Obie left, Mom in law and I hot a few garage sales.

I made out like a BANDIT.

I found a DVD of Kevin Costner's MR. BROOKS, for only a $1. It's a great thriller--very suspensful.

We found a sale down the road from Obie's father's place, and wow--was it great. I found a collection of vintage comics for $10. Brian was thrilled. The guy was movin', and said that he was happy they were goin' to a good home. I got some new sunglasses, a pair of plastic garden shoes, a couple of vintage cookbooks, some brand new towels--AND a recliner for Brian. The recliner was an older one, and it had a small stain. The man said he just wanted to get rid of it, so I got it for free! As we were laodin' it up, his wife said we could have it reupholstered.

I said, "Honey, that is why God gave us EXTRA LARGE SHEETS!" I got it home, put it where I knew it would best fit, and covered it with a sheet and tucked it in.

it looks great, and Brian was blown away that he now has a place to relax and read, wathc movies or snooze when he gets home from a long day' work.

man, ain't God good?

After Brian got home, we went with his parents to CABELAS Sportin' Goods Store and I got my new dehydrator! It's got ten trays, quiet electric fan, digital controls, AND it was ON SALE! I had originally planned to get the one that is $199, but when we got there, there was the $229 model on sale for.....

$159! Oh yeah--I snagged it up.

After we finished at CABELAS, Pop in law took us out to dinner at a pretty nice little place, then we came home and went to sleep, 'cause Brian was workin' the next day.

Before he left at 5 a.m./, helped me get my dehydrator set up, and then after he was gone, I had a juicin' party all by myself. I made a blend of carrot, kale, cilantro, bell pepper, apple and beet juice--quite tasty. I made certain the carrot and beet pulp were seperate from the other pulps, and then I put the beautiful orange and scarlet pulps into the large bowl and added chili powder, cumin, salt, white pepper, oregano, and an onion that I had peeled and chopped up in the food processor. I put the mixture in the fridge, and then put one cup of golden flaxseed into two cups of water to soak.

My breakfast was a whole cantelope--they had been on sale for $1 all week, and I enjoyed my 'fruitarian' repast while I listened to the CHANT CD. That is where a group of monks are well, chantin'. It's so calmin' and peaceful.

After I finished breakfast and fed all the critters, I got ready for church while listenin' to YANNI, LIVE AT THE ACROPOLIS. He was a New Age musician many yeaers ago, and he says the he doesn't believe in God, but in some nebulous, impersonal Universe.
However, when I hear this music it is quite soul stirrin', and I play it as praise to the CREATOR of that 'universe', and everything in it.

Amazin' how there are faith lessons in stuff you wouldn't think there would be. You just gotta LOOK and LISTEN.

Went to church with Brian's mom and had a wonderful worship service. On the way home, I picked up a roll of parchment paper, and after lunch, I blended the soaked flaxseed and the veggie pulp together and spread it out over sheets of the paper and set the dehydrator.

The results weren't as perfect as I had hoped, but heck--it's my first attempt at dryin' stuff, so I was pleased with the 'crisps' I ended up with. They tasted very Southwestern, and they had a good crunch.

My next project will be banana chips, and then, on to beef jerky. I'm gonna try the ground beef jerky, and I'm lookin' for an old cookie press to make the strips with.

Makin' a run to the farmer's market for our little produce coop on Friday mornin'--can't wait till we're there, walkin' around all those beautiful fresh foods.

Well, I got chores. later ya'll.
© 2012 by Evelyn Edgett