Friday, March 30, 2012

Sneaky Canines--Fenugreek Tea

March 30, 2012

Last night as we were gettin' ready for bed, we brought Little Dove, Our mama wolf, in for the night. She loves bein' with us, and she is such a sweetheart.

Unfortunately...

She is really smart, and she is always figurin' out ways to get what she wants. I'm not sayin' she is SPOILED or anything like that....

Well, as she was gettin' comfy on her big cushion on Brian's side of the bed, my little Min pin/chihauhua mix, Poblano, came up and they started to 'rassle', like they always do. That goofy "Popo" thinks she is a big wolf, also, and she loves to tumble with the other 'bigguns'.

As I watched them, it seemed as if they were havin' a secret conversation. Little Dove seemed to be whisperin' in Popo's ear, and thelittle mutt was listenin' hard.

I suddenly had a flashback to the old TINY TOONS cartoons show. I imagined Popo askin' Dove,

"What are we gonna do tonight, Dove?"

And DOVE replied....

"The same thing we do every night, Popo...TRY TO TAKE OVER THE BED!"

Okay--*I* thought it was funny....

ANYWAY....

I learned about fenugreek tea a couple of months back, and I love the stuff. I take two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a crockpot, fill it with water, and set the temperature on low for several hours. I usually put it on after dinner, then at bedtime, I turn off the crockpot and let it steep overnight. I then drain the liquid into a large gallon jar, add water tot he top, and I further divide the tea into guart conainers by puttin' two cups of the concentrated tea in each container, then fillin' the rest of the way with water. I put the containers in the fridge and once they are cold, I drink the tea throughout the day.

It's a very refreshin' drink, and my research tells me there are many health benefits to drinkin' the tea. Google fenugreek tea, you will learn some really interestin' facts.

One of the reported benefits is supposed to be it helps with diabetes. I'm NOT recommendin' this as a treatment--I am not a doctor, I don't diagnose or prescribe--I'm just sharin' a story of what happened with my own family.

Brian's mom is pre-diabetic, and since she knows I am big on natural medicine, she asked if I knew of anything that might help her. I told her she could try the fenugreek mixture, and she agreed.

When she began, her blood sugar was 143. After about a month, it is now 103. She drinks a few glasses throughout the day.

I dunno if it was the tea, but I know she and her doctor are pleased with the new blood sugar readin's. I brew up a batch for us both every few days, and we really enjoy it, even as just a cold drink.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2012 by Evelyn Edgett

1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    Dogs are so fun! I love the taste of fenugreek, so licoricey (is that a word). I'd forgotten about its blood sugar-lowering ability, so thanks for the reminder.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    p.s. A super huge thank you for the surprise package that came yesterday! You made my week!

    ReplyDelete