Thursday, December 8, 2011

More Purgin'--Kudos To Jeff Yeager, The Ultimate Cheapskate

December 8, 2011

Did more purgin' yesterday--and again found that I have already been doin' a lot of that. I only had a couple of things to donate, and they were simply memorabilia from years gone by. I'd hung onto them for sentimentality, and it was just time to let them go so they could do some good for someone else.

Yesterday I got a message from my buddy Jeff Yeager, author of THE ULTIMATE CHEAPSKATE'S ROAD MAP TO TRUE RICHES, and THE CHEAPSKATE NEXT DOOR (which *I* am mentioned in--TWICE). He has a third book in the works about repurposin' things that most folks would toss out.

Well, his message asked me if I would be willin' to talk with a reporter about Jeff's bein nominated as one of the 12 most popular financial gurus of 2011.

Normally I would have jumped at the chance and had a blast talkin' about my 'thriftology' philosophy. Unfortunately, I am in the middle of a big project--not just purgin'--and I had no idea what my schedule would be so that the reporter could call me and talk.

So, since I had to pass on that chance at fame (or would that be infamy? heck with me ya never know.), I decided that I would write my own little article about why Jeff Yeager is so popular with folks--at least my take on the subject.

www.gobankingrates.com has set up a poll nominatin' 12 of the most popular financial advisors for 2011. Jeff is one of them. Suze Orman, Dave Ramsey, and others are also listed. If you wanna vote for Jeff or any other of the nominees, just go to;

http://www.gobankingrates.com/savings-account/jeff-yeager-ultimate-cheapskate-expert

Okay--why do I think that Jeff is so popular with folks when it comes to the topic of savin' money? Well, my take on this is that there are two types of financial advisors.

You see, Suze Orman, Dave Ramsey, and many others are lookin' at the cut and dried, black and white aspects of debt reduction and generatin' income. That is important, yes, but it often just doesn't compute with folks like me, whose eyes glaze over durin' explanations of IRAs, 401ks, and the stock market. To me--those are all abstract concepts that don't make a bit of sense.

Look--I'm not stupid--I just haven't found someone who can make it 'real' to me in a way that I can grasp the concept and make it my own. It's like when I struggled with taxes for so long, until a wonderful accountant found a way to make it clear to me. Since then, I've actually ENJOYED doin' taxes, 'cause I UNDERSTAND them.

Jeff, on the other hand--deals with financial matters in a creative way--and NO, he doesn't suggest you do anything unrealistic with your checkbook!

Instead, he looks at the topic of frugality from the perspective of STOP FOCUSIN' ON WHAT YA AIN'T GOT--LOOK AT WHAT YA HAVE.

A lot of our financial problems come from a wrong perspective. We see a commercial for a CAPTAIN BILLY BOB WHIZ BANG WHAZZIT, and right away we think--I GOTTA GET ONE OF THOSE!

So we rush out and spend money we don't have on somethin' we don't need in order to impress people we don't even like....hold it--I know that's a quote from somewhere--I just can't think if who said it right now, never mind, you get the idea.

ANYWAAAAAYYYYY....Jeff encourages folks to look at their lives in a way that, as one article put it--"they can live comfortably on any income", and "make the most of what they have."

Hmm...sound familiar? I think if we look in the Bible, we will find many of those same ideas....

Philippians 4:11-12 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.I know what is is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

1 Timothy 6:6-8 "But Godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing we will be content with that."

Hebrews 13:5 "Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for God has said, 'Never will I leave you or forsake you.'


I'm not sayin' money is evil--it is a TOOL, just like a hammer or a wheelbarrow. You don't idolize your tools do ya? (okay--maybe you do if you're a guy in the CRAFTSMAN department at SEARS--but I'm talkin' NORMAL people here)

Jeff appeals to the creative side of my frugal nature. Seriously--why spend money to solve a problem when you can have fun doin' it creatively AND save money
at the same time?

I know that some people look at me like I am nuts when I do some of the things I do to save money, but I don't care what they think. I know that for every dollar that I don't spend of what my husband earns--that allows him the freedom to refuse to have to work overtime to replace it. That in turn means he can spend more time with us, his family.

What is all boils down to, Jeff Yeager proposes a return to a common sense ooutlook on life and finances. Life ain't 'stuff'.

Well, I got chores. Later, ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment