Thursday, September 8, 2011

Campin On The Ridge--A New Recipe From Angela Coffman

September 8, 2011

Wow--cooler weather at last! It's been lovely bein' able to sleep with only a fan and open windows this last week.

Last weekend our family and a friend camped out on the ridge and went horseback ridin'. We brought up horses and some gear, then I stayed behind to set up camp while Brian and Obie went to get some m ore things and our friend James. I walked around and took some photos while I waited.


I got the campfire goin' and put on a big pot of beans for lunch. I had already cooked them the day before, so all I had to do was heat them through. Then I got out my huge cast iron skillet, poured in some oil, and fried up some corn cakes. They are simply made from a cornbread batter that is fried like a doughnut.

They may be simple--but they are also GOOD.

One really cool thing I found while takin' photos was in one of the ponds on the ridge. I was tryin' to get a photo of these tiny lilly pads--they are only about 3 inches across.
I knelt down close to the water's edge, and as I was takin' the picture, I saw somethin' move in the water just in front of me. I got a closer look, and took this photo of two leeches hoverin' over somethin.
I tried to use a stick to lift them out for a better look, but they took off. I wondered what they had been goin' after, so I lifted out what I had thought was a big root. Turns out it was instead a large batch of frog's eggs.
The guys got back, we had a good lunch, and then went ridin. Fancy and I rode all around the 50 acres, and we loved it. Brian worked with his stud, Rascal.

For supper I made red chile stew with hamburger, and leftover corn cakes. It was a lovely night, but we all turned in around 'dark thirty'.

We woke up to a wonderful mornin'. I put the coffe pot on the fire, then started up the skillets. I made sausage gravy with beef breakfast sausage, navajo fry bread and scrambled eggs.

Do ya dig my jammie pants with the red lips on 'em? I think they are cute!
Well, we did more horseback ridin', then a quick lunch of leftovers, more ridin' and sometime around 3p.m. we packed up and headed back down the mountain. We dropped off our friend, unloaded everything, then took Fancy and headed to rodeo practice. Had a good practice, but the dust was awful. I had so much dust blow in my mouth, you would have thought I was havin' my teeth polished with a sand blaster!

We got back home, got Fancy put away, and we all crashed late. Fortunately, Brian was off for the holiday, so we got to sleep late--till a whole6 a.m.!

Oh--the beef breakfast sausage was from a recipe by Angela Coffman of www.groceryshrink.com. I asked her permission to give ya'll the recipe, and she said go for it. She asked me to link back to the recipe on her site--but I ain't figgered that out yet--so just visit her blog site--you'll love it.

Here's the original recipe:
Beef Breakfast Sausage
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons dried sage
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 pounds ground beef, uncooked
Stir the brown sugar, sage, salt, basil, black pepper, onion powder, and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl.
Place the ground beef in a large bowl; mix the spice blend into the ground beef with your hands until evenly integrated. If you have a Bosch, you can use the dough hook on your mixer to blend the ground beef and spices.
Place spiced beef in a covered container in the refrigerator for 24 hours to let the flavors blend.
Divide the ground beef into patties. I wanted the patties pretty flat so we could use them in our Sunday morning bagel, egg, cheese, and sausage sandwiches. I made 1 ½-inch balls and flattened them between pieces of wax paper. I used a square of wax paper and did 4 at a time. I flatted them to about ¼ inch. They peeled easily off the wax paper to fry in a skillet. I got about 18 patties doing it this way. If you want larger sausage patties, then you will obviously not get as many as I did.
Fry beef sausage patties over medium-high heat until done. Serve!
To store: I let the patties cool and then placed them in a freezer safe container with wax paper in between the layers (see photo above). Now I can easily take out however many patties I need, let them thaw, and warm them up for our meal.

Now, what I did was make another batch and added a bit more 'kick' with extra cayenne. This recipe makes the most fabulous sausage gravy you ever had! Thanks Angela--you ROCK!

Well, I got chores. Later Ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    Mmm, nothing beats camp cooking! What fun to have an excursion on horseback; I was right there with you while reading. Who knows, maybe someday I WILL be right there with you, since we're nearly neighbors, right?

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete