Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 7 of The Dress Experiment

August 14, 2011

Day 7 of the Dress Experiment.

I slept pretty good last night, in spite of the tick bites that itched off and on, and we got up to enjoy our coffee, green tea and chocolate chip cookies.

We fed and watered, and I got dressed in this simple knit dress.




It's really comfortable, and I like that I bought it and a couple of others for .50 cents each about six years ago at a jumble sale at the local Catholic church. They are all LAND'S END brand, so they are well made and will last for years. I like that they are classic designs, and I can wear them simply as they are, or I can wear a jacket, sweater, or even the chain belt you see here. I really like the belt, since it only cost me .50 cents at a yard sale several years ago, but I had to lose weight so I could wear it!

We had a really wonderful service, and afterwards, we had the baptism of this young man. He had attended the revival several weeks ago, and he came to know Jesus as Savior. He then requested to be baptized by Preach.



Then we visited with our church family, and headed home.

Where I confess--I cheated a little bit on the dress experiment.

I got home, and instead of changin' into another dress--I crawled in my pajama pants and a T-shirt. Hey--I was gonna nap all afternoon anyway, so I just got comfy.

So--I spent seven days in dresses.

What was my conclusion?

First--wearin' dresses up here isn't THAT hard, really. Yes, there were several issues that came up--most of which could be dealt with in some way or another to resolve them.

After about five days, I became comfortable enough in how I needed to move in the outfits, so I think that if I chose to continue wearin' them, it wouldn't be so hard.

However, I just have to face the fact that while I do enjoy wearin' them on occasion--I am just more at ease in jeans, T-shirts and boots.

One lady who reads my blog once suggested that I should at least wear dresses when I go to church or to town. I could do this--but I don't think I would be real if I did. I feel that unless I honestly felt the DESIRE to wear the dress--I would be in danger of wearin' it to 'look holy'.

I feel that I would be like the Pharisees that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 23:5,

"But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments."

These men took pains to make certain they had a good outward show of religion, and yet they only wanted to impress people, not to please God through obedience. If I wore dresses for the wrong reason--I'd be doin' the same thing.

Also--in 1 Timothy 2:9-10, Paul says,

"In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but which is proper for women professing Godliness, with good works."

Now, I honestly don't see anywhere it says that dresses are required. All I see is the admonition that women clothe themselves modestly, and with good works.

At our church, most of the women wear jeans or slacks. I defy ANYONE to say that these ladies are not some of the most Godly, feminine women on the planet. Preach's momma-in-law wears slacks, and let me tell ya--that woman loves Jesus with her whole heart. I watched her stand and praise God with tears runnin' down her face at church, and she had just buried her mother that afternoon.

Preach's wife stood before the whole church and admitted that she was scared about some medical tests that Preach was havin', and yet, she sang a song about how she may be scared--but she trusted God completely. And she does.

Preach's momma? Oh, that lady is Godly to the 3rd degree and beyond. She is gracious and feminine. She encourages others, prays constantly, and displays a sweet spirit.

Our music minister's wife wears slacks, and she adores her Lord beyond anything I've ever seen.

Many of our younger women have actually taught me more about bein' a Godly momma than I ever learned from my own mother, and they just about all wear jeans, boots, etc. I have a friend who goes about with her husband from one cowboy church to another as God moves them to help build up new congregations. She works in the oil industry, and she wears jeans and steel toed boots to work. However, this woman submits herself to her husband's Biblical authority.

I'm not sayin' that if you wear a dress that you are doin' it just to look holy--I would never say that. What I'm tryin' to say is wear the dress because you want to, and your husband wants you to. If you feel God is callin' you to wear a dress--go for it. Heck, My husband may tell me one day that he prefers me in dresses, or God may call me to wear them--I dunno.

I just know that if you are a disciple of Jesus Christ, and you have trusted Him with your life--you are my sister and I love you--no matter what ya wear.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett




1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    I just realized that I missed this post; a wonderful conclusion to your experiment! I love the belt and dress. Land's End fabric is sooo soft and comfy!

    I agree about the dress; if it doesn't feel good, you won't feel good doing it!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete