Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 6 of Dress Experiment

August 13, 2011

Day 6 of the Dress Experiment.

I did okay for most of the day. I made a breakfast of beef sausage gravy, home made biscuits and eggs. We hauled water for the animals and ourselves.




I wore this dress, since it is just a simple one piece dress, and it sorta looks Amish to me. I think I read too many Wanda E. Brunstetter and Beverly Lewis novels (websites here)--and by the way--those two ladies write TOO SLOW. I need some more tales of Lancaster County and other wonderful towns where the Amish dwell.

We just enjoyed a quiet day off, since we have been really busy with last weekend's rodeo, the funeral last Sunday, chores during the week, etc.

We had let our horses out to graze earlier in the day, since with the rain on Thursday the grass has turned a gorgeous green. I was restin' and readin' a book when I realized that I hadn't heard the horses for a while. I went out and called them, but no answerin' whinny.

Brian and I went lookin' for the prodigals. Up to the easement, down the easement, and then Brian went down the creek bed while I walked up a wash to a small ridge. We each walked a little over a mile and a half.

No horses.

This was weird. They never stray from their grazin' grounds.

We walked back towards the edge of the easement, when we saw her.

Fancy was hidin' in the woods across the easement, not FIVE FEET from where we first came on to the easment! I swear I saw that mare snicker like a little kid who has beaten someone in a game of hide and seek.

I yelled her name, and she took off back into the woods towards the house at a full tilt boogie, her blonde mane flowin' out from her neck like a shampoo model. I was impressed at how beautiful she was when she runs.

I was MAD, but impressed.

By the time we got back to the corral, she is there, along with her partners in aggravation. Apparently, they had all waitied until we got past them, then they each snuck back home. Fancy just happened to be the last one during the 'allee, allee, outs in free' stage of the game.

We got them all settled back in their corrals, fed and watered, petted--all the stuff that needs to be done.


The afternoon progressed pretty quietly after that, until I began to itch on my legs. My ankles began to itch and burn, too. I checked my legs and found that I was COVERED in seed ticks!

Now, livin' up here in the mountains, with all the trees and brush, etc--you expect to deal with ticks. They are just a fact of life, and you do what you can to prevent gettin' bit by the little critters. However--seed ticks are insidious little vermin that cling to high grass and branches, waitin' for an unsuspectin' deer, raccoon, or idiot in a dress to brush against their perch, allowin' them to attack en masse, quietly invadin' the skin until they have made the host miserable enough to notice them.

Now, durin' the summer--my son may get five or six bites total. My husband, a few more.

Me?

Someone bangs a dinner gong and screams, "FREE IRISH FOOD--ALL YOU CAN EAT!"

{{SIGH}}

The rest of the evenin', I am subjected to tweezers and masking tape, as my husband gets everyone of the little demons off my legs. My question is--why do the darn things itch worse AFTER they have been removed? I use apple cider vinegar on the tiny welts to stop the discomfort. I smell like a pickle, but I can sleep.

I almost burned every dress I own--almost.

Well, I gotta scratch. Later ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett


1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    Yikes, I missed this post, too! You poor thing; ticks are a good reminder that we are not the top of the food chain!

    I hope you're all healed up now. Pantaloons are a good tick-deterrent under those skirts!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    p.s. I remember that I didn't enclose your book in the letter that has probably arrived already. It's sitting here on my desk, and I'll have to ship it out today.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete