Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 4 of Dress Experiment

August 11, 2011

My backside is draggin' so bad right now I'm leavin' ruts in the ground.

I came THIIIIIIS close to chuckin' the whole dress experiment today. Fortunately, the Lord gave me one heck of a stubborn streak (oh wait--stubborn is bad--let's call it extreme determination, shall we?)

It all began when we climbed into the truck at 4:50 this mornin'. Brian stuck the key in the ignition and.....

...the truck said, "eh."

Oh, this ain't good.

Tried again--

"eh."

The battery was deader than dead.

So, to make a long story short, I first walked up to the top of the ridge in the dark with the cell phone to call Brian's work--but no signal.

Sooooo.....

I come back to the house and then head up the easement to my neighbor's fence. Here's where the whole dress thing almost got scrapped.

It's a BARBED WIRE FENCE. And it has BRAMBLES GROWIN' ON IT.




Aw heck.

Well, no guts no glory. I finally figure out that I have to gather up the hem of the dress and wrap it around my waist so I can get through the fence without tearin' my clothes.

I'm sorry, but that is NOT modest--don't care WHO you are.

I get to the house, I use the phone and head back. Brian has got the truck runnin'. We get him to work about an hour late, but we get him there.

I get the mornin' chores done, then spend a while gettin' all the little 'stick tights' of my socks from where I had to walk through tall grass.






We get everything done we need to, and just when we are drivin' up to the Hartshorne Library--the clouds let loose with a deluge. I can barely see outside the windows of the truck--but I'm happy. We get soaked goin' in the building. After I dry off a bit, I get the lady workin' the counter to take the photo of today's dress.




We get our books, we finish up all the piddly chores we have left to do, then we pick up Brian from work and go home. He then goes up to help our neighbor haul some water, and Obie and I come home to do evenin' feedin'. I've got burgers planned for dinner, then I'm collapsin' for the night.

And yes, I WILL be wearin' a dress tomorrow--But if I come up against another barbed wire fence--the DEAL'S OFF!

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment