Wednesday, July 27, 2011

RAIN!!!!!--Watchin' Horses--Fudge Recipe--Washin' Dogs

July 26, 2011

IT'S RAININ'!!!!!!!!

We woke up this mornin', and it was rainin'. It's a gentle soakin' rain that will do the crops and hay a lot of good. There have been a lot of prayers sent up for this rain,, and I am just praisin' God left, right and sideways.

And yes, I keep singin' "Showers of Blessings".

I fed and watered in the rain this mornin'. It's a lot cooler, and it was so pleasant to spend time with Fancypants, my mare and Bandy, my little half blind gelding. I had hung their hay nets in the trees, and they decided to eat off the same net for a while. I just sat on a big rock and watched them for a while.

I always laugh at how differently these two eat hay. Fancy eats in a way that puts me in mind of a 1980s aerobics instructor. She's all,
"Okay, we're going to do a basic, 'snatch, chew, chew, chew, swallow, snatch' drill, adding a counter clockwise tail flick in the breaks. Alright, begin! SNATCH, chew, chew, chew, SWALLOW.....SNATCH and FLICK!

Bandy on the other hand, eats hay in a contemplative manner. He's really rather zen in his eatin' habits. He approaches the bale with a ritualistic reverence that would shame a 14th century mystic. Bandy is all about "See the bale--BEEEEE the bale." He will sniff the bale all over, seekin' that most excellent morsel.

He searches that bale like I search the scriptures, lookin' for that one nugget of nourishment that will feed the soul.

When he finally chooses the bit he wants, he then delicately pulls it away from the rest, and then begins to chew with a look of absolute bliss on his face. He SAVORS that mouthful of hay like a fine wine.

Now, when these two eat from the same net--it gets really funny. Here's Fancy on one side, all efficient and focused, and then there's Bandy, slow and methodical on the other side. When Fancy gets too active in her eatin', Bandy usually gets bopped in the nose with the bale, and after a while, they both look over at ME, as if they want me to stop the other from doin' what is buggin' the other one.

It has been a quiet day. Obie and I baked four loaves of bread from the batch of dough we made up and chilled. Don't they look delicious? Yes--I know there are only three loaves in the photo--We couldn't wait for the fourth one to cool!

We did all our chores, rested and read, then we bathed two of our dogs, Ufi and Simi. These two ladies are goin' in tomorrow to be spayed. They get to spend the night in the house tonight, and Poblano is NOT happy over this. She thinks SHE owns the house and the people in it--so why would I allow these two interlopers into HER house?

Oh--almost forgot to tell you. That DIAMOND FUDGE recipe I tried? It's GREAT. It's rich, though, so you won't eat a lot at one sittin'.

Here is the recipe:

Diamond Fudge
1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
Cook first 3 ingredients in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture melts and is smooth.
Remove from heat. Add confectioners' sugar, stirring until smooth. Spoon into a buttered 8-inch square pan; chill until firm.
Let stand about 10 minutes at room temperature before cutting into squares. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 1 1/2 pounds.

It's really easy.

I also had to bathe two dogs so I could take them in to get spayed in the mornin'. I had a heck of a time gettin' Simi and Ufi cleaned up. I put Ufi in first, and Simi kept hangin' over the edge of the tub like she was laughin' at Ufi. Now, Ufi is the canine version of the Halleluiah chorus, while her sister Simi is Evil On Wheels. She’s not a bad dog, but she just wants to BE THE BOSS OF THE UNIVERSE.

Well, I got Ufi all nice and clean, dried off and in the house, and then it was time to bathe Simi.

Oh dear.

Did you ever watch the old cartoons where the dog would put all four feet and its tail on the rim of the tub and the owner couldn’t get it to go into the water?

Yeah, like that.

I finally convinced her she would be fine, and I got ‘Her Royal Fuzziness’ all clean, dry, and put in the house for the night. She and Ufi are now workin’ out the details of who gets to sleep where, and it is worse than the Paris Peace Talks ever were.

I can hardly wait until I pick them up after their surgery Thursday mornin’, and I have to keep them inside for several days while they heal--I will be a ravin’ loon by the time they get out stitches!

Well, I got chores. Later ya’ll
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment