Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 24, 2011--Bonus Post

July 24, 2011--8:30 p.m.

We had an unusual visitor to our homestead tonight, and I thought I would share with ya'll.

About 40 minutes ago, we were all in bed, settlin' down for the night. We were readin', when suddenly our dogs began to bark.

This was not the usual "Hey, somethin' is out here you need to check out!" bark, or the "Hey, somebody's drivin' up the driveway!" bark.

This was "HEY! THERE IS SOMETHIN' OUT HERE THAT WE GOT NO IDEA HOW TO HANDLE, SO PLEASE COME OUT HERE BEFORE IT EATS US!" barkin'.

Brian looked out the window, and said,

"There is a goose in the yard!"

"A WHAT?"

"A GOOSE! A big white goose!"

Well, ya'll know I HAD to grab the camera and get a photo of it for ya'll. I came outside, and sure enough, there was a big white goose walkin' around my yard. He seemed to be perfectly at home, and was just as calm as could be.




What was hilarious was how my dogs were reactin'.

They were all under my camper, huddled together, goggle eyed, as they stared at this thing they had no experience with. I had a flash of the conversation they must have been havin' about this odd creature....

Junior--"What the heck IS that thing?"

Midnight--I think it's a chicken. I've seen a chicken before, and that looks like a chicken."

Bug--"Nononono. I remember that chicken--the body on this thing looks kinda like a chicken, but it's got a long, snakey neck. Maybe it's some kind of a snake."

Simi--"Guys--this thing is hissin' like an angry cat! I think it's a cat with feathers."

Ufi--"Wait--it's got webbed feet--I've seen a duck on the pond, and that's what kinda feet this thing has!"

Punky--"OH NO! IT'S A CASNAKENDUCK! EVERYBODY RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

(I know--I have WAAAY too much fun.)

Well, anyway, they all decided it was far too dangerous to stay anywhere near the thing, so they all took off to the woods to hide.

I took some photos of the little critter, and he had no problem with me doin' that. He wouldn't allow me to get near enough to touch him, but I did try to herd him towards the pond. I finally had to call my husband to help me, And he came out in his short PJ bottoms and tennies.

"What are we tryin' to do?"

"We're just gonna herd him to the pond, so he knows where it is, and if the dogs do get brave, he will have a better chance of escapin' them."

He looked kinda concerned, so I asked him, "Haven't you ever dealt with a goose before?"

"NO! And I really don't wanna do it now!"

"Oh, for heaven's sake, he won't hurt you. The worst he can do is bite you with his beak--just a pinch."

The look he gave me was priceless.

"Yeah--here I am in shorts, and you tell me it may BITE me. That REALLY makes me wanna get near it!"

{{SIGH}} My hero.

Well, we got it over to the pond, and it seemed to be content, so we turned in for the night. It will be interestin' to see if he is still here in the mornin'.

I'll keep ya posted.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment