Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's Hot, Purgin',The Revenge Of Jane Austen, And Homestead Blessings DVD Series

July 21, 2011

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, but it has been hotter than blue blazes around here, so we have spent a lot of time stayin' cool. We have been unable to go for walks for almost two weeks now. My left leg got wrenched a few times, and until I get to the chiropractor--I'm pretty much grounded, 'cause it hurts too much to walk these hills. Obie is goin' monkey crackers, since he loves to walk as much as I do.

There isn't even a lot to photograph lately, since it's so dry. Plants are dyin' off--even the berry bushes are burnt. I've only seen one of my favorite butterflies, but I got a photo of it.




I'm prayin' for rain--a good frog choker would be lovely.

Since we've been stuck inside during the hottest part of the day, I've been sortin' through stuff--I've had the 'urge to purge' lately. I don't own a lot of things as it is, but I have really been goin' through what I DO have, and doin' what my friend Eleanor calls 'Gem or Rock'. What you do is you look at something and decide if it is a gem or a rock in your life.

Why are you lookin' at me like that? Pay attention, I'll explain.

A GEM is something that you own, something that you do, an attitude, a habit, or even a person you may have in your life that is valuable and enriches your existence as a human being.

A ROCK, on the other hand.....simply weighs you down, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. It distracts you from your true purpose in life, and it drains you of joy and life.

Pretty simple, huh?

So, I've been playin' Gem or Rock, and I was amazed at all the Rocks I have been carryin' around with me. Mostly attitudes, which we all struggle with--worry, pessimism, doubt--but I've also had to purge some relationships that had been turnin' toxic for a long time.

But don't worry--the Redneck is still here!

Let's see....keepin' cool, purgin'...ah yes--my latest episode concernin' Jane Austen.

I had read that Austen had written a Gothic novel in her career, NORTHANGER ABBEY. I was curious to read it, and last week I came across the BBC production of the book at the library. I had enjoyed their versions of SENSE AND SENSIBILITY and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, so I snapped it up.

I finally got to sit down and watch it this mornin' after chores. It was a tad slow at first, but it began to really get interestin' as it went along. I was drawn into the tale of Katherine, a young woman who is addicted to gothic novels, and who daydreams about this fantasy world. She is invited to go to Bath for the season, and she meets people who are very different from her everyday life.

And yes--there was a woman I wanted to smack the tar out of--isn't there always one?

Well, anyway, I was goin' along and enjoyin' the story and the actor's work, when the first half of the show ended and I went to turn the DVD over to watch the second episode.

My player kept tellin' me it was unable to read the disk. I could not see the end of the show.

ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

Now, you KNOW Jane Austen is kickin' up her heels, laughin' her ladylike backside off. Here I am, the woman who trashed her MANSFIELD PARK novel, and I am DEVASTATED that I can't watch the last half of NORTHANGER ABBEY!

Go ahead and laugh, Janey--I'm laughin' too.

I am now lookin' for another copy of the DVD. If I come across the book, I'll read it, but I really wanna see the movie also.

I also got to see AMERICAN SCARY last weekend. It's a documentary about horror show hosts, their history and the future of the industry. It was great--they talked about Vampira, Zacherley, and Ghoulardi, along with many others.

Hey--I grew up watchin' these kinds of things, and they are so much fun. I was thrilled to find that there are still many of these folks around the country, and that there are even horror hosts branchin' out on the internet.

Now--what I am really excited to tell ya'll about is the HOMESTEAD BLESSINGS DVD series from FRANKLIN SPRINGS FAMILY MEDIA. I had seen a video trailer for the series on YouTube, and I wanted a chance to see one of them to find if they might be worth buyin' for my own collection.

Well, I found three of them at the library. There was the ART OF QUILTING, THE ART OF CANDLE MAKING, and THE ART OF SOAP MAKING. I brought them home and watched all three one day.

THEY ARE WONDERFUL.

The DVDs feature four beautiful ladies, a mom and her daughters (Hannah, Vicki, CeCe and Jasmine) as they show the viewer how to perform various steps for many of the skills that used to be passed down from one generation to the next. Not only are 'The West Ladies' wonderful instructors--they quickly become the friends we all would love to have next door, you know the ones we all dream about as we embark on a simpler lifestyle. These would be the ladies who would invite us over to help with the canning, quilting and baking, just so they would have the honor of helping us learn the arts of domesticity. I am SO gonna order the series.(http://www.homestead-blessings.com/) If you get a chance to see these DVDS--I highly recommend them.

I guess that's all for now--I did want to let ya'll know that I am changin' the way I do the blog, startin' with the next posting. I'll be writin' a post a day while I'm home, and then when I come into town, I'll post them all in chronological order. All you will have to do is go back to the date of the last time you read the blog, and start from there. I just can't get everything I wanna say into one single post, so this way I can concentrate on what I wanna say in each one--plus it will help me to stay disciplined in my writin'.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    Wow, it sounds like you've been using the heat to get a lot accomplished! I'm glad that your husband made it through the purge. :)

    We saw one of those butterflies the other day, too; aren't they beautiful? We also had a big hornworm on our tomatoes, which was pretty in a different way! :)

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete