Friday, May 27, 2011

Yesterday Was Busy, A Few Photos, And The Choice To Rejoice

May 27, 2011

My beautiful son, sleepin' in the early mornin' hours....and his basketball! I have to laugh, because he takes that ball everywhere.


Good mornin' everyone! It has been a glorious last few days, and it seems that the holiday weekend will also be good weather. It was cool enough this mornin' that we had to wear sweaters before the sun came up, but now it's just lovely.

Yesterday, I spent the day outside for the most part. I hauled and burned tree limbs, boxed up stuff for the thrift store, and pulled up weeds that had gotten waist high from all the rain. I took down my clothes line so I can figure out where the heck to move it to, since the former location was really not the best one. Obie and I bagged up all the aluminum cans we had been savin' in our recycle bin--came up with three large bags to sell today! I need to buy a new can crusher for our 'cantina'--the old one has finally bitten the proverbial dust.

We watched Jane Austen's PERSUASION on dvd yesterday durin' lunch--now THAT was good. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Austen, or even if you just like a good story.

Of course, we had our nice long walk in the early mornin' also.

These two photos are not from yesterday's walk, nut from the weekend instead. I just hadn't found them in my files until today. This little crawfish was makin' his way across the road to the water filled ditch when we found him.


Tnis is my little Chihuahua/MinPin mix, Poblano. She was another little 'dump dog' that we rescued last year. She is a bundle of energy. Here you see that she has met her very first turtle durin' a walk. He was maybe the size of a belt buckle. Poblano was absolutely fascinated with him. I took the photo then shooed him off the road and into the water beside the road.


I have been thinkin' a lot about a verse in the Bible, Psalm 118:24;

"This is the day that the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it."

Now, did ya notice that the Psalmist says, "I will rejoice"? He didn't say, "I may rejoice later in the day if everything turns out the way I'd like it to--IF I feel like it." He simply said " I WILL rejoice."

I have had mornin' where I wake up and try to get everyone goin' and I will hear the whine, "I don't wanna do it, it's not fair, Just leave me alone."

Then the Lord tells me, "Evelyn, you are the wife and mother--you have to do these things."

Yeah--that's right--nine out of ten times when I hear whinin' it's me, just not feelin' like rejoicin' in another day that God has blessed me with. I have to drag my butt outta bed, get the spousal unit off to work, get dressed, have my prayer and Bible time, then get my son up and the animals fed and watered, have our breakfast, go for our walk, and proceed with our day. Most days I have no problem with this, but sometimes I just get what the old timers called 'the mullygrubs', and I struggle with the simplest of chores. I forget that each and every day is a gift from God, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, the One Who, as Psalm 71:6 says;

"By You I have been upheld from birth, You are He Who took me from my mother's womb. My praise shall be continually of You."

We have all heard the verse about how He knew us before we were born, how He fashioned us while still in the womb--but here it says that He is the One Who brought us out of the womb. Think about it, GOD was the midwife at your birth! Is that not amazing? It floors me to think about it. God took the time to watch a tiny, squealin' human be born. You think that if He is that involved to see that I GOT here that He's not gonna make sure that every day durin' my life is special?

Like I said, every day is a gift from God. Heck, every heartbeat, every breath is a gift. If we don't see things that way, we whine and moan, makin' not only ourselves, but pretty much everyone around us miserable. Nothin' is good enough for us, and if only we could have things just as we want them, life would be better.

No, it wouldn't.

I feel that every day is a challenge, an adventure. No matter how mundane the day may turn out to be, it is still a one of a kind experience. It's really up to YOU how you perceive it at the end of the day. Was it just another day to endure until you could fall into bed and escape into sleep, or was it a chance to see what God has in store for you--a chance to serve Him with gladness, bein' a blessin' to everyone you meet, right up until you seek rest and renewal through a peaceful night's sleep?

Hey--it's your call. I ask you to make the CHOICE to REJOICE.

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    A very thought-provoking post, indeed! I'm glad you like "Persuasion"; I've seen two versions of the movie, but have yet to read the book (it's on the list!).

    Poblano is a little doll, and how cute that Obie loves his basketball so much. I've never seen a crayfish walking on dry land; how funny!

    I try to spend about five minutes in bed, just thanking the Lord for keeping us safe during the night, and for my bed, and whatever else I can think of, to set me in the right mood before I get out of bed. Sometimes I have to get back IN bed during the day and do it again!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete