Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Quiet Sunday & Rollin' Thunder



Punky & Poblano, snoozin' away on Sunday afternoon.


May 3, 2011

Woke up Sunday mornin' and just could not find the incentive to rouse from our beds. This wasn't discouragement or exhaustion--it was simple “comfyness”. We had all been goin’ 90 to nuthin’ for several days, in schedules, physical exertion, and emotional states. We just felt the need to retreat from the world and have time alone as a family. Sometimes such a course is needed in order to restore a healthy balance in life. Jesus withdrew with His disciples in Mark. The key is to withdraw with HIM--not just drop out of everything.

So, no church this week. I texted Preach and let him know what was goin’ on so no one would worry we were stuck in the driveway again after yet MORE rain. We then spent the mornin’ relaxin’, drinkin’ coffee, and sippin’ green tea as we talked and just enjoyed each other’s company. I put on some praise music and began to putter around our humble abode as the Redneck went about feedin’ and waterin’. Obie took advantage of the relaxed time and just rested and dozed a while.

Two of our wolves came in and took over my bed, while the third decided that runnin’ through the stock pond was an excellent idea. My question is this--why does the animal that absolutely refuses to submit to a bath with warm water in a warm bathroom and all the pampering in the world, turns out the be the same one who will lunge joyfully into a cold, smelly stock pond or creek? It makes as much sense as when you blow in a dog’s face they don’t like it, but they will hang their heads out of a car window and adore the wind in their faces. I often marvel at the inconsistency of the animal kingdom. People acting illogically I get--animals you would think had more sense....

After catchin’ up on some simple chores I made a late meal of home made biscuits, sausage gravy and scrambled eggs while THE EXPENDABLES played in the blu ray. The guys were still watchin’ it while I worked on my blog posts in the loft. Rain was comin’ down and makin’ a soothin’ rhythm on the roof, and every now and then a flash of lighting and a distant boom of thunder would punctuate the afternoon quiet.

Most folks have heard the old hymn HOW GREAT THOU ART, and the line “I hear the rolling thunder”. I had heard that line all my life, but didn’t know what rolling thunder was. I knew about booms and claps, but rolling? What was that?

Then I moved to the mountains.

When I first came here, my trailer was on a ledge overlooking a small ravine. It was a beautiful view, and cool breezes wafted through. One day I saw that clouds were gatherin’ so I prepared for a stormy night; seein’ that windows were shut, animals were either in the house with us or in their shelters, and that flashlights and candles were at the ready in case of power failure.

Well, the storm hit, and after a while Obie and I went to our beds. He was out fast, but I lay there lookin’ out the windows at the lighting as it came closer, and countin’ the seconds it took for thunder to follow the flashes. I began to notice that the sound was changin’ as it drew nearer--almost a longer, more drawn out sound.

When the storm finally reached my area--well, it was phenomenal, what I heard.

There would be the usual flash of bright light--then there would be this powerful, well, ROLLING of sound that I felt through my whole body. It would begin at one end of the ravine, and then quite literally the sound would undulate, rising and falling, surging throughout the ravine. Then it would seem to hit one end of the ravine and turn back on itself to roll in the way it had just come. It was without a doubt one of the most awe inducing displays of power I have ever witnessed.

I then understood what the hymn writer meant as I listened to this cacophony of creation.

The scripture states that:

“since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.” (Romans 1:20)

That night I felt God was like a loving Father Who was givin’ me, His child, a spectacular gift--my own personal light show, fireworks display, celestial extravaganza and a tiny glimpse of His glory.

I used to be terrified of thunder--flinchin’ and tensin’ whenever it crashed around me. I admit--if I’m sleepin’ and a huge crack wakes me up--I still yelp like a scalded hound.

But if I’m awake--it’s like hearin’ Lynyrd Skynyrd, Z.Z. Topp, Hank Williams Jr. and Shooter Jennings as the openin’ acts at the world’s greatest concert, followed by an angel band rockin' Handel’s MESSIAH as the headliner. And *I* have orchestra seatin’!

Well, I got chores. Later ya’ll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett
 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    It sounds like you had a lovely Sabbath; I think often, too, of the Savior needing to retreat to the wilderness and be alone with His Father. Sometimes it's necessary!

    I love rolling thunder, too, so majestic and awe-inspiring!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    p.s. Your lovely letter arrived yesterday; thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete