Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Close Encounters Of The Bunny Kind, And A Tarantula Learns That Shovels Can Be Detrimental To One's Well Bein'

May 31, 2011

Good Mornin! I hope ya'll had a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend. We had a nice one, simple and quiet.  Ran errands Saturday then worked on the yard. Sunday was Cowboy Church and rodeo practice afterwards.
Our friend Dustin found this tiny prayin' mantiss on one fo the pipes at the rodeo grounds. It took four tries, but I finlly got a good photo. I had never seen one that small. After posin' for me, he was released back into the wild.


When we returned home Sunday evenin', we had a light supper then sat in the yard to enjoy the sunset. Suddenly, Brian said, "Look, there's a rabbit in the drive." I got my trusty camera out of my pocket and began to quietly walk up to where the little guy was, hopin' to catch a photo.

If you look around the center of the photo, you can just make him out. I was about 12 feet away.


This is a bit blurry, but I wanted to show him scratchin' his face with his paws. I was only abouy four feet away at this point.


Did I just hear a shutter click?


I guess not. Think I'll dig a little right here to loosen the dirt, and then.....


I think I'll lay right down and relax a bit.


THIS blew me away. He not only lay down, he turned so that his belly was towards me, which showed that he had absolutely NO FEAR. I walked away carefully after that, and he continued to play and rest where he was for quite a while longer.


Come on, was that cool or what? There was even one of my wolves not a full 15 feet away from him, and she just glanced over and then ignored the 'fast food' in front of her. Yeah, it sounds goofy, but when the Lord honors me with a moment like this, I am so humbled.

Now, earlier, when we first got home, I walked over to our cabin and opened the screen door. I looked down, and saw somethin' move. At first I thought a mouse or a toad had gotten in the doorway. Turns out it was a TARANTULA. I paused, said, "I'll be right with you," closed the door back, reached for a shovel that was by the cabin, reopened the door, yelled "SERPRIZE!", and turned the little house invader into a furry smear with one whack. Sorry there are no photos of the little dude, but whackin' took precendence over picture takin', if ya get my drift.

So, it's Tuesday mornin' and I'm in town to run errands and post my blog. Lot's to do, but there is no rush. I intend to read the blogs I enjoy, drive casually back up the mountain to feed and water my critters, and then mosey back down to do what else needs doin. I am on God's time today, and I am lettin' Him dictate the pace.

Well, I got chores. later ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett



1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, definitely cool! The tarantula on the other hand...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete