Thursday, April 14, 2011

Guest Post--Lavender & It's Uses

April 14, 2011

Hey ya'll--been a hard day. I had a wolf die from a snake bite, and I am really upset. I am fortunate that my friend, Becky Long, had agreed to do a few guest posts for me on her field of expertise, which is herbs. She has been my friend for 11 years, and I used to sell a lot of the products she made, llike hand dipped incense, soaps, lotions, etc. She only does two products these days, and you can find them by usin' the link on the right of my blog, for MAMA'S HERBAL REMEDIES.

I asked her to do her first post on lavender, as that is the herb that most folks get started with.


Here is a photo of the flowers. I found this plant growin', of all places--outside a DENNY'S Restaraunt!

So, without further ado--here is Becky's info for ya'll.

Lavender (lavandula angustifolia) is an effective herb for headaches, especially when related to stress. It can also be quite effective in the clearing of depression, when used with other remedies. Lavender gently strengthens the nervous system & in states of nervous debility and exhaustion, while aiding to help promote natural sleep.
 
For depression: it combines well with rosemary, kola or skullcap.
For headaches: may be used along with lady's slipper or valerian.
 
To make an infusion for a tea: pour one cup of boiling water over 1 tsp. of  dried herbs, leave to infuse for about 10 min. This can be drank 3 times a day as needed.
 
The oil should not be taken internally, but can be inhaled or rubbed on the skin or used in the bath. Lavender essential oil is the only oil gentle enough to be used "neat" or non-diluted.
 
 
Short, sweet, to the point. I like that. Now, if you want more information, let me know. We are both feelin' our way through this subject, and while we didn't want her to overwhelm ya'll with info--we also don't wanna short change ya, either.
 
If ya'll would like more posts on herbs, please let me know.
 
Well, I got chores. Later ya'll
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment