Friday, April 8, 2011

Nature Walk In The City

April 8, 2011

Wow--it's hot out there in Texas today!

After a great night's sleep, Brian went to his folks for the day, and I lazed about while Obie snoozed. I had so much trouble gettin' up and movin' this mornin'. Apparently I was more relaxed than I thought! I was so comfy, I just curled up under the covers and dozed while the tv played.

Finally, we got up and dressed, then took off for a lovely walk down to my friend Debra Newton's used bookstore--BOOKS AND MORE. It's only a mile and a half from the motel we are stayin' at.

It was a nice walk. I guess I'm one of the few folks who can walk down a city street and look not at the man made stuff--but instead I look for the plant and animal life that dwells amongst the concrete.

Of course, I had my new camera--and I wanted to share the beauty we saw with ya'll.

I don't know what these plants are, but I thought they were nice, with the long reddish blooms.


This is a detail of the blooms. Aren't they lovely and delicate?



There were several of these birds flittin' around this iron fence by a shoppin' center. At first I thought they were grackles, but I'm not certain.



I couldn't believe it when I saw all these rosemary plants in a decorative flower bed along University. I just kept thinkin' about roasted chicken flavored with rosemary and garlic. I couldn't live near here--I'd be too tempted to snitch a sprig every time I passed by!


Again, not certain what these yellow flowers are, but they are very pretty. I once read that flowers are just weeds someone found a use for. I think these would be pretty in a flower bed, don't you?



You don't think of tumbleweeds in the city, but we found several along the road.



I love to find these little pale pink blooms along a road. They aren't pansies, but they make me think of them.



Of course, it wouldn't be Texas without bluebonnets! It's hard to believe by lookin' at this photo, but just two feet away is a busy street with cars zippin' along.



Here's Obie, in front of a lovely big tree by a business we passed. It just looked so cool in the shade, i had to get a picture of him.


I came across these little guys hidin' in a parking lot shade. They seemed to be sayin', "Hey, we're down here! Come enjoy our colors!"

Now that was on the way to the bookstore. We took the opposite side of the street back. It was a bit boring, right up until we came up on this vacant lot filled with blue bonnets. I took several photos.






Unbelievable that so much natural beauty is only a few feet away from so much concrete!

Well, I still got  no chores, but I gotta get dressed to go out--the Redneck is takin' us to dinner when he gets here! Later, ya'll.





© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

2 comments:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    I just noticed this post; what lovely flowers, and a beautiful boy! I can't name the bird, either; I thought it was a cowbird, but Audrey the bird nerd says, "no". :)

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again~ We found this link that looks like your bird (in case you were burning with curiosity)~ http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/spp_photos.aspx?spp=2&sppid=92&keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=488&width=875

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete